We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving tomorrow

staten island n.y.
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving tomorrow

I arriving tomorrow and is the weather forecast correct High 80's I was expecting th70's... and no HUMIDITy

Also can anyone tell the best way to get from the airport to the Sheraton Wall. If a cab we will have 2 piecies of luggage is there a surcharge... and what about tips included. if not what is the % used....

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Yes it's finally heating up here-forecast for 33 degrees tomorrow!

A cab from the airport will be $25-30.

Personally I rarely tip local cabbies because service is so poor-don't feel the need to give them anything.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving tomorrow

While it is forcast to be warm it won't be humid at least not the way it is on the east coast.. also be sure to bring a light wrap/sweater as once evening hits it will cool off ....there will be a sea breeze.

No surcharge for luggage.. you can check to see if cab takes credit card as most do.. I often have good service from cabs and tip them a couple of dollars..not a %.. tips are not included in service here also not included in restaurants..general tipping is about 15% Canadians have rep as being poorer tippers than US.

Right now canadian dollar is very high so exchange rate for you will be about 5%.. lots of places will take US and give you CDN change.. if you pay the cab in US ( if they take it) you can always use your exchange as the tip

staten island n.y.
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Thanks for the info.... So with the temps going up Is it acceptable to wear shorts in town.. Were would be a good place to spend sighseeing on a hot day. I would think walk around town wouldnt work.... I was think about Granville Island... or the hip on hop off bus....

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving tomorrow

rnbn

shorts are no problem to wear.

If you like the sun anyone of the local beaches are a great place to spend a day.

Lynn Canyon is good in North Van

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving tomorrow

English Bay is a great place to get off the hop-on hop-off bus. Walk down to the seawall and north to Second Beach and to Third Beach.

Granville Island is also nice, especially if you feel like sitting on a patio enjoying the sunshine. Perhaps even rent a boat if you feel comfortable enough. The only issue with Granville Island is that there are no beaches - the "island" is built up with boulders and rocks, so while you can stand on the deck and overlook False Creek, there are nicer waterfronts a short walk nearby. Kits Beach is really nice - you can get there from Granville Island by False Creek Ferry.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving tomorrow

You can take transit bus in Vancouver just like I've taken the M60 out of LGA into Manhattan (...I see you're from Staten Island?) It'll cost you CA$3.00 daytime or $2.25 after 6:30PM from Vancouver Airport to right under "The Wall."

Catch your first bus at the lowest level coming out of the domestic part of the airport (a short five-minute buggy-wheeling from Customs; buggies are free-no rental charge) This one-and-only bus will take you to a nearby transfer point five minutes away to connect you to the 98 B-Line bus in the downtown direction. Just paying the standard fare to the first driver wil land you a free transfer valid for 90 minutes--no such NYC-sort of complication, like if you want a transfer you've got have bought a stored-valued card first, which bus drivers don't sell, so you can only transfer for free from the subway to a bus but not from a bus to a subway if you're new in town, etc., etc....

Anyway, on the way into town, the 98 B-Line will whisk you past a point that's about three blocks east of the Wall Centre. If you stay on for another two minutes, it will reach its point-of-turnaround. if you just stay on it, it will start taking you outof town again but on a set of roads about three blocks west of the road used on the inbound. Five minutes after leaving the point-of-turnaround you can get off at the stop at Nelson at Hornby, and the Wall Centre complete with the Sheraton is right there. (I love taking buses in strange cities, and have taken transit in NYC to get to the Four Points and Comfort Hotel in Flushing. This Vancouver set-up is really a breeze ....)

One more thing for your convenience: inside the domestic part of the airport there is a Seven-Eleven store on the lowest level as well. Break your money into coins, there as the fare boxes can take only coins--they don't have the bill-acceptors like buses and vending machines in the U.S. all have. Once you've enjoyed busing it in, perhaps you'll even want to do the same when you leave ...? :-)

7. Re: Arriving tomorrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 07:19