We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long would it take?

Durham UK
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Topic
How long would it take?

Would be grateful if someone could advise on the following. We land in Vancouver at 5.15pm on the 26th of Spetember. The Canucks have a game that evening at 7pm. Assuming the plane lands on time!!?! , how long will it take us to clear customs (flying from the UK) collect luggage and get a taxi downtown? We are staying at the Rosedale on Robson which I understand is near to GM Place. Just wondering whether we would miss much of the game -ie would it be worth trying to get tickets.

Anyones advice would be appreciated.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
9,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How long would it take?

My best guess is that you'd miss the first period, worst guess is that the plane will be late-Customs & Immigration unspeakably slow-and you won't get to your hotel before 9PM.

Being a notorious skinflint I'd wait until I got to the hotel and then walk over to GM Place and buy tickets because those games almost certainly won't be sold out.

Preseason is when a lot of minor league players are getting a chance to play before the team lineup is finalised-thus play can be sloppy and dull.

Durham UK
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long would it take?

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. Much appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long would it take?

Flight and Customs are the big unknowns. Taxi to downtown is :30-:40 min. depending on traffic. As Sam said, I would look to purchase tickets from scalpers outside the stadium. Your hotel is a 10min walk to the stadium.

Durham UK
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How long would it take?

Many thanks for theadvice. This seems to be the way to go. Perhaps I could have a go at haggling with the scalpers :0)

Durham UK
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long would it take?

Well Sam, your worst guess looks be the right one - just got word our flight is 'touching down' in Calgary when its supposed to be non stop. Looks like plans are scuppered the best I can hope for it seems that we make it to a bar for some beer and watch the end of the game on TV. Grrrrrr!

Only hope now is that we are in town for a Giants game - fingers crossed.

Which sports bar is closest to the Rosedale on Robson please?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,880 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long would it take?

The Library Square Public House - one block up located on Homer and Georgia in the elliptical "shell" that surrounds the library.

Jimmy's Taphouse (located on Homer and Robson).

The Shark Club (on Georgia and Beatty)

Mentioned in this post
Jimmy's Taphouse
Jimmy's Taphouse
16 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Durham UK
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long would it take?

Many thanks for that!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long would it take?

ros:

The "Dog House" is right down the street. Shark Club, Beatty Street Grill, The Kingston Tap House...all within a quick walk.

Durham UK
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long would it take?

Thank you everyone - now where are those running shoes? Its a while since I used them :0)

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long would it take?

In the Rosedale on Robson there is a bar/restaurant that shows the games