We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood Restaurant on water?

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood Restaurant on water?

One night mid May in Vancouver. Any seafood restaurant suggestions - on the water, casual (jeans, if possible?) but not fried fish served in a basket??

Thanks!

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
464 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

Consider Cardero's. It's a casual location with good atmosphere overlooking the water. They have grilled fish as well as steaks, pasta, chicken, etc.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

Do any Vacouverites know if the Seven Seas Restaurant is still open? I have been there a couple of times, but quite a long time ago. It was a boat turned restaurant in Vancouver (I think it is actually considered North Vancouver and was right near the seabus station) and had a fabulous seafood buffet.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

the Seven Seas closed down several years ago. The N.Van. waterfront, east of Lonsdale Quay, is now being developed into a Granville Island-type area, with seawall, hotel, etc., etc.

dci1991: try Bridges or the Sandbar at Granville Island, or Kettle of Fish or the Riley Cafe on the north side of False Creek. For something more upscale (no jeans) the Cannery is a long-time favourite. So many choices, so little time!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
361 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

I would also suggest Cardero's if you want to wear jeans. There is also a new place called Lift right down from Cardero's that is a happening new place -- more of lounge but good food too. The Cannery is great but in quite an out of the way location -- and last time I was there everyone was quite dressed up. p.s. phone for a reservation to Cardero's if possible or the wait might be rather lengthy.

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
29 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

Thanks everybody! Appreciate your help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

I'm not a seafood fan but a friend of mine really likes The Sandbar at Granville Island. Another suggestion is Rodneys Oyster Bar (not on the water but in trendy Yaletown). Very popular!

Level Contributor
35,424 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

Is the Fish House good and does it have water views?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

It's good, but doesn't have water views - it's in Stanley Park surrounded by trees and parkland. It's within a short walk to the water, however. The restaurant itself is located in a beautiful building, reminiscent of a country-club house.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

Monk McQueens in False Creek overlooks the water. I think you would want to eat downstairs, the upstairs in the restaurant is more formal.

There is also the new restaurant in coal harbour in front of the Bayshore I believe it is called Landings.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seafood Restaurant on water?

syrahgirl, We were just at the Fish House last weekend, and I must say, not impressed. I had read about this place in Best Places Northwest-had a good review, looked at their menu online-looked very good. We had just finished picking up an item in one of the gift shops in the park and asked the guy working there to point us in the right direction of the Fish House, and he did not recommend it. Well, we went anyway, and now regret it. Way overpriced for what you get, got seated in a backroom facing tennis courts instead of the park green. I ordered their house specialty which was prawns flamed with ouzo, and found the prawns to be of the "wet" variety vs. the "dry" meaning they weren't firm, but tasted like they had been previously frozen or processed.

Our best dining experiences in our 3 days were at Feenie's, a cheap noodle shop called Sha Lin, and Death By Chocolate. All of these places were on West Broadway. Sophie's Cosmic Cafe in Kitsilano had a great breakfast. We also shared lots of little plates at the stands in Granville Island- all of these places so much better than the Fish House.