We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DFW
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

Hi all...I have found this forum so useful and full of information about all things PNW. :)

Many thanks to all of you.

We are a family of 4 ( 2adu, 9yo and 3yo) travelling to Seattle next week for a wedding and decided to make a vacation out of it.

After reading everyones comments and helpful hints, I have compiled the following itinerary ( also keeping in mind that friends and family events are fixed time). I have booked hotels, air, reserved ferries and really looking forward to meeting family and friends. Only thing left to do is reservation for High tea in Victoria. :)

Here is the plan...hope it will help someone plan a similar trip.

Friday from DFW

Evening Fly into Seattle

Overnight with family

Saturday

Morning Pike Place Market/Morning with family

Afternoon Drive to Portland

Late Afternoon Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway:(Multnomah falls, Bridge of the Gods)

Overnight Portland

Sunday

Morning Pearl district - Historic + Shopping / Opt. Council Crest, Riverside

Afternoon wine tasting or Micro-breweries

Evening Drive back to Seattle

Overnight Seattle

Monday

Morning Monorail to Seattle Center/Space needle

Afternoon 11:00am Drive to Vancouver

Late Afternoon

Stanley Park (shuttle ride round inside) - Prospect Point/Totem Poles

Miniature Train ride

Seawall walk, English Bay

Evening Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre - upto 7:00 pm

Late Evening Robson St/Denman St

Overnight Vancouver - Westin Bayshore

Tuesday

Morning Capillano Suspension bridge

Afternoon Grouse Mountain

optional Burnaby village if possible

Early Evening

Canada Place (opt IMAX) - check showtimes.

Gastown/Chinatown - walk through

Lookout

opt Downtown/Dbl decker ride

opt Science World (has OMNIMAX)

Overnight Vancouver

Wednesday

Morning Granville Island (aquabus)

Afternoon Drive to Tswwassen - 2:00pm Ferry to Victoria (reserved)

Evening Butchard Gardens

Overnight Victoria - Queen Victoria Hotel

Thursday

Morning Craigdarroch Castle

Morning Beacon Hill Park - Views, Cricket, Petting zoo, water feature.

Afternoon Miniature World/Empress hotel

Inner Harbour and streets

Optional Royal BC Museum (depending on kids moods)

Late Afternoon Scenic Marine Drive to Oak Bay, High Tea

Evening Inner Harbour Evening

Govt St Tourist Shops

Night Lights at Parliament bldg

Overnight Victoria - QV Hotel

Friday

Morning Ferry to Port Angeles (Reserved).

Afternoon Drive Olympic National Park and Hurricane Ridge

Evening Drive back to Seattle (Via Bainbridge Island ferry)

Saturday

Wedding in the family - all day event

Sunday

Drive to Mt Rainier - Day trip (no details planned yet)

Monday

Morning Children's Museum

Afternoon Chittenden Locks

Evening Fly back to DFW

I know it's hectic and we are quite willing to go with the flow as far as the kids are concerned. We have a car ( borrowed ) for the duration. I'd love to hear your comments.

Anu

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

I have a feeling much of what you have planned for Monday late afternoon/evening in Vancouver will get pushed over to the next day as it's too much IMO even if you don't have to wait more than 20 minutes at the border (which is very unlikely--early to mid-afternoon you're likely to wait longer).

And I'd make the Royal BC museum a higher priority than Craigdarroch Castle with kids.

You know your family best of course but I find planning one activity in the morning and one in the afternoon and allowing for plenty of downtime and having a list of "if we have time for it great, if not oh well" works well.

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

Great itinerary and alot packed in,could be a tough go for the young one.You will be on the fly and probably wont get everything in,but you'll have fun trying.You will be exhausted when you get home.

Have fun

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

In northern Oregon, we've always enjoyed visiting Fort Clatsop at the Lewis and Clark National Historic Park near Astoria -- this is where the explorers and their party wintered over when they reached the Pacific. I loved it as a kid, and my own kids have enjoyed it too. The website is

nps.gov/lewi/planyourvisit/fortclatsop.htm

My kids are now 12 and 16, and both were bored to death by a visit to Pike Place Market earlier this summer. Apparently watching people toss salmon around is not as fascinating as I would have hoped...

DFW
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

LOL!!! yes...I know this is too much...and we are very willing to go with the flow and do what we can and take the time to enjoy doing it.

I have found though from past experience that sometime we just zip throught the agenda and then the kids and DH start getting bored....so I always plan too much rather than too little.

:)

And yes...we might just not do any of the "shopping" streets in downtown but opt to spend more time in Stanly park the next day.

I wish we could spend another day in Vancouver but that's not possible.

I am really keen on the RBC Museum as well...notthing set is stone ( except the ferry rides) ...but since I get the Butchart gardens I have to let them choose the other activities first. ( ...and because of this I am not scheduling any other gardens ... :( )

My sis lives in downtown Seattle ...a stone throw away from pikeplace market soo I figured we could breakfast there.

I am so looking forward t this trip.

Anu

DFW
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

Would anyone have any input on the Mt Ranier Day trip?

DH specifically requested this and my sis was very enthusiastic that we go. I'm a little worried that the kids will be bored.

Anu

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

I agree that the BC museum is a must with kids. And the castle, with young childre, would probably bore them. We took our teens last year and they were not bored, but definitely enjoyed the museum much more.

We used to live in the Seattle area, and go back often to visit friends and family, and Pike Place Market is still a place that we love to wander. There is much more to it than the fish throwing. Go explore all the insides of the market, and the streets surrounding it. We like to go early and watch the vendors set up. Coffee and croissants at Le Panier is perfect for that.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

I agree with several others to make the Royal BC Museum a much higher priority. We went to the Titanic exhibit in April and it was outstanding. Craigdarroch Castle will probably bore the kids silly.

Have a good holiday and enjoy the beautiful northwest!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

I'd skip the Gastown/Chinatown portion. Evening is the worst time to be there - the shops are closed by then and it's the scuzziest part of Vancouver, especially at that time. If you're going to go there at all, go in the morning or the afternoon. I stress this.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

Your 2nd posting was regarding taking a trip to Mt. Rainer:

YES! This can be a relaxing drive to Mt. Rainer called Paradise, once you see it you will know why they named it. When I think of Seattle I see Mt Rainer on the drive into the city, stunning really.

In regards to your time in Vancouver, please beware of our boarder and rush hour traffic which will be near Westin Bayshore, once you check in just stroll over to Stanley Park and suggest eating over at English Bay as you watch the sunset.

The family should have a fun time at Cap Bridge and Grouse Mtn, bring warm clothing( DFW is warmer than YVR) for the mountain as it can be much cooler once on top.

I love my city but gastown at night is a BIG no go area. Its sad but it's lost a lot of it's sheen it once had, day time only please. The kids can have fun at Science World or BC sports museum, lots of activites inside-both are good if it is raining.

Hope your trip is outstanding for your family, post again if you have any more queries or concerns.

Noel

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria 10 days itinerary - LONG

spend as much time in van as possible seattle and portland don't even compare both visually and as a tourist destination