We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family days out in Vancouver

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Family days out in Vancouver

My family and I will be visiting Vancouver next week we live in the UK so want to pack as much in as possible to the short 8 days stay.

Can anyone suggest great places to visit also places to eat

Thanks!!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,885 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family days out in Vancouver

For things to do, check out Inside Vancouver: Family Travel here at TripAdvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-s401/Vancouve…

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family days out in Vancouver

Hi HellsUK,

We visited Vancouver this year at the beginning of March so I guess the weather will be on par with when you visit. If you are taking children with you this is a great city to visit.

Stanley park is a must and there is a really good aquarium there which you could easily spend half a day if not more. The Beluga Whales are really spectacular and the jelly fish! But also you can walk around Stanley Park which will fill up the rest of your day!

From a city point of view make use of the sky train a daily pass is fairly cheap and you can use it on the ferry as well. There is a science museum on the sky train line which the kids will love loads of interaction.

Definately go up the Vancouver lookout as you can see loads and the ticket entitles you to go up during the day and at night (which we didn't get to do but I am sure you won't be disappointed).

Make sure you go to the American Football stadium as there is a museum of sports which is really good and again interactive.

If you catch the ferry across to North Vancouver there is a really nice market style shopping centre and you can catch a bus from there to either the Capaliano Suspension bridge (excuse the spelling) and then onto Grouse Mountain ski resort. Not sure though if the suspension bridge is open as it wasn't when we were there. From Grouse Mountain if you fancy a walk you can walk down from there and not far down the road is a dam and a reallly nice walk through woods and there is a salmon farm there if it takes your fancy.

If you can get tickets definately go and watch the Canucks play the atompshere is electric and the ice hockey is really fast, especially if your children are sports fans they will love it.

If you head over to Granville Island there is another deli style market for you and for the children if you follow the road around past the yachts etc there is a maritime musuem and the space museum.

We didn't venture out of the city as we didn't have a car, but most things are fairly acessible by walking or the sky train or bus. Which ever hotel you stay in the concerige's are knowledgeable and will be able to help you with bus numbers etc.

Depending on what you prefer to eat there is a wide range of options for the children the old spaghetti factory is a real bargain, don't expect gourmet food but the menu is really affordable. There are plenty of TGI Friday's type places and if you want somewhere slightly out of the way catch the ferry across to North Vancouver (you can use your pass up until midnight) and there is a really nice pub style restaurant and they have the hockey on, believe me you will be hooked.

If you like Chinese there are some good noodle bars in China Town. China Town also houses the worlds thinest building (we took a picture just to say we had been there!) There is also a nice garden there.

We found that the local coffee shops (Tim Hortons) offer a fairly good on the run breakfast and then made use of the subway's (which are everywhere) for our very british picnic style lunch which worked out cheaper than eating out for every meal.

I hope you enjoy your time in Vancouver it is a wonderful city and the shopping is really good (although watch out for the taxes that are added to everything!) We got some really good bargains, if you want pure tack Gastown is where you need to be (but watch out there is alot of homeless people around here asking for money, but if you say no they do move on and don't bother you).

Have a great time, would love to hear your thoughts on your return. Where are you staying?

bristol uk
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family days out in Vancouver

As stated the Spagehtti Fractory is reasonable value. We also liked Millstones on Robson street - good food for the price. My teenage son said he had the best burger of his life!! Also the trip to Lonsdale Quay is really fun - going to and from on the seabus. We also went to Granville Island, I can't say that I was very impressed, too busy for me, but it has lots of food options and craft shops/stalls.

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family days out in Vancouver

Wow excellent advise, I will definatly look into going to where you have suggested. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Downtown, so I hope this is a nice hotel?

I have been looking on the internet for bus timetables which I have been able to get but I assume that this will all be available for me when I get to the hotel.

Thanks once again for the suggestions, il let you know how we get on!

antrim
Level Contributor
104 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family days out in Vancouver

Had 11 very happy days in Vancouver in August and found the" Find Family Fun" website invaluable. As well as frank reviews on tourist and local attractions ,it does a monthly listing of fun events for families. It is written by a family from the Vancouver suburbs and described the local parks and museums very accurately.

6. Re: Family days out in Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 15:17