We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Canadian City

Ireland
6 posts
Save Topic
Best Canadian City

I'm hoping to spend my summer working in Canada. I'm a 20 yr old college student looking for a city to base myself during the summer. I'm between Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver!! I just cant decide which is the best city. I'm young, energtic, love the outdoors and looking for a lively and fun packed city to spend the summer in. Any tips on which city would suit me best???

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Canadian City

Having lived in both Toronto and Vancouver I would have to say Vancouver is the best place to live. Better beachs and outdoor activities. Toronto can get very hot and humid during the summer, here in Vancouver the weather is much more confortable.

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Canadian City

I live in Vancouver, but Montreal would be a good place if you love culture and art. They have lots of events happening during summertime. Besides, if you ever do get bored, you can always hop over to Ottawa and Toronto. :)

Toronto and Vancouver are like any other typical large cities. The best thing about Vancouver, is the people, whereas for Toronto, it's just the conveniences of living in a large city. Typical touristy places and offers.

Iowa City
Level Contributor
886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Canadian City

I concur with the previous posts-Vancouver is my favorite city-we have been vacationing there for several years. Vancouver has a better scenery-the ocean-mountains-other interesting places visit within a reasaonable distance.Culturally, Toronto has more to offer, with the University of Toronto, the Shakespeare festival(Stratford), etc. But, I think the people of Vancouver are the most friendly-just wonderful people. Montreal would be an interesting city too-you would get a taste of France in the New World.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Canadian City

I don't know about Montreal or Toronto, but Vancouver's businesses desperately need staff, whether it's waiting tables or secretarial services or a trade or... whatever.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Canadian City

Vancouver, easily has one of the most spectacualr locations of any city on earth

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Canadian City

i would say vancouver for the weather and sheer beauty of your suroundings...

but if you're planning on working here, you should try to secure a job before you come. it's a pricey city in terms of food and nightlife, and jobs that don't pay minimum wage are very hard to come by. vancouver has a massive ammount of working class poor that survive paycheck to paycheck on $8/hour.

for culture, montreal is amazing. great nightlife and sights, but it will be HOT.

toronto is not my favourite city, but if you're looking for a big city feel, you'll get it there. and much more to do (concerts, events etc) but again, it will be hot.

overall it depends on what you're looking for. as much as i love vancovuer, the nightlife here is weak at best. but if you're more of an outdoorsy type, you'll find you love vancouver for the hiking and other outdoor activities. in toronto or montreal it's too hot to even step outside some days.

i have many friends from ireland that have moved to vancouver and adjusted very well, as the climate is quite similar.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Canadian City

The poster is 20 yrs old...keep that in mind...

I love Vancouver for it's beauty. But I find it's very boring city.

Toronto is more exciting. It may not have the scenery as in Vancouver, but outside of Toronto such as Muskoka are Algonquin Park, north of Toronto, is a great get away in the summer as well.

Montreal, even though alot of people there speak English... if you are looking for a job there...I'm not sure if they prefer people who also speak French.

So it really depends on what you are looking for.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Canadian City

Did anyone watch the documentary "Let's All Hate Toronto" on CBC Newsworld a few weeks ago? The filmmakers found that people hate Toronto the most in... Vancouver! So the responses here in the Vancouver forum are predictable.

Irishcailin, how's your French? Not so great? Forget about Montreal. If you want a job where you're dealing with the public, you pretty much need to speak French. If you don't, you're pretty much stuck with manual labour, dishwashing, etc.

Vancouver vs. Toronto? Vancouver's advantages: close to the outdoors, mountains, ocean. Great sushi and Indian food. Laid back lifestyle. And... uh... that's about it. Disadvantages (compared to Toronto): fairly small, cultural diversity consists largely of huge Asian communities and not much else, condo construction everywhere, obsessed with 2010 Olympics. Don't know about the music/club/art scene, but I can't imagine it has anything close to the density and diversity of Toronto's.

Toronto's advantages: large, extremely diverse population, lots going on in terms of art, music, culture, etc. Always something to do day and night, a lot of it free. Disadvantages: no ocean, no mountains.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Canadian City

if you love the outdoors...vancouver. if you want all the club scene, hip restaurants, the arts, culture...pick Toronto...I have lived in both for long periods

Ireland
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Canadian City

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated! I speak pretty good french so wouldn't rule out montreal for that reason. The shear beauty of vancouver is attracting me there but is it lacking a little culture, a good night life etc... Will i find myself lost there with nothing to do or see in the evenings?