We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Stopover?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Stopover?

Hi everyone. Am planning our Sept trip and need some advice on a place to stay. We are driving from Calgary to Banff to Jasper then onto Vancouver to meet friends. i would like ideas on where we could stay in between Jasper and Vancouver. It would only be a night so looking for the most scenic drive I guess. Thanks,Kerry

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Stopover?

Jasper to Vancouver is an eight hour drive - HWY 5 will take you thorugh Kamloops - five hours from Jasper. Would then recommend you take the "toll highway" = Coquihalla - from Kamloops to Vancouver. You could do this drive in one day, if desired.

HWY 5 will afford you the only option of not having to "backtrack" back towards Banff to get onto Tran-Canada. Google.com has "maps" option which will allow you to enter start and finish points with turn by turn directions and driving distances.

sunpeaksresort.com - this Ski resort (20 minutes from Kamloops) offers summer accomodations and activities. . .

Cheers

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
156 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Stopover?

Jasper to Vancouver is 800 kilometres but it is good road and you can do it in 9 hours driving. Kamloops, about halfway, is a logical break point.

If you're not committed to Jasper, you might better enjoy spending a little more time around Banff and Lake Louise then driving to Vancouver through Golden and Revelstoke. You’ll see all the mountains you can possibly want and save almost 300 kilometres of driving.

The shorter route is the Trans Canada Highway and takes you through Yoho National Park and Glacier National Park. It’s a more scenic route than Highway 5 between Jasper and Kamloops.

One of my favourite lodges is near Golden. Great hosts, comfortable facilities with furniture made by the owner. That might be a good rest point between Calgary and Vancouver.

http://www.kickinghorsecanyonbb.com/

Melbourne
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Stopover?

Thanks for your advice. Was only planning to head to Jasper so we could see Glacier and the scenery along the way but I have already done a Glacier trip in NZ so am not overly worried. Are there plenty of scenic walks etc in Yoho and along that way that you would recommend?

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
156 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Stopover?

Here is a website by people who have programs for Yoho National Park. They can give specific ideas about activities in September.

http://www.friendsofyoho.ca/index.htm

Parks Canada presents information about Glacier National Park activities here:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/glacier/activ/activ5_E.asp

This website promotes tourism on the west side of the Rocky Mountains around Golden BC. Check out river trips. You can do white water boating or tame float trips.

http://www.go2rockies.com/

With a little time at the computer, you can find information about activities that interest you specifically. One hint that might be helpful is to use www.google.ca where you can specify results from Canadian based websites.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Stopover?

There is some fantastic scenery along the highway from Banff to Jasper. Hopefully you'd still be able to see some of this even if you don't drive all the way to Jasper.

There are some great hikes and walks in Yoho NP. For a shorter walk you could walk around Emerald Lake or to Wapta Falls. For a longer hike, the Iceline trail has some excellent views.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Stopover?

I agree with jerm about the Icefields Parkway (the highway between Lake Louise and Jasper). You don't mention how many days you have available, but if you could possibly manage it I would recommend that you drive the Icefields Parkway at least as far as the glacier. This would allow you to see some the amazing scenery that this road has to offer.

I also think that the #5 highway between Jasper and Kamloops is quite scenic, with the exception of the area around Barriere that was burned out by a forest fire about 5 years ago.

=:>)

7. Re: Best Stopover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 08:16