We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

My wife and I are planning a 10 day or so trip to the Vancouver Island/Vancouver/Seattle area late July 2008. At this time I am planning to fly into Seattle, rent a car and head to Vancouver Island via Vancouver spending my first two nights in Victoria. After that I'm planning to tour the island for 3-4 more days and am open for suggestions. I've read the info on Vancouver-Island-Adventures.com and a have a basic understanding of the island, drive times, etc. Now I'd love to get your recommendations on how much time to give the key areas. Many thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Lotus Land Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Power Pedal Tours Vancouver
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours
Numinous Travels
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Vancouver by Locals
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Long Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

We're doing your exact trip, but we've never been there either. Thanks for your post.

Victoria, BC Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

What are you looking to do? Are you outdoorsy nature people who like hiking, kayaking, camping, whale/bear watching etc? Or are you more beach resort, spa, tourist attraction, shopping sort of folks?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Vancouver Island is BIG. Three to four days isn't much time to "tour the Island" unless all you intend to do is drive. It's about 3 hrs from Victoria to Campbell River, about 4 hrs. Victoria to Tofino no stopping. Most people want to spend about 3 days in Tofino itself. There are all sorts of places and things to see and do along the way.

As someone else questioned - what are your interests and you can them best be directed to locations.

Check these websites:

www.vancouverisland.com/Regions/towns/…

www.chemainus.com

www.vancouverisland.travel

www.saratogaspeedway.bc.ca

www.strathcona.bc.ca

www.vancouverislandabound.com

www.mountwashington.com

www.tofino-bc.com

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Campbell River
Campbell River
Vancouver Island, Canada
Regina - Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Just FYI - there are also ferries from Anacortes, Washington to Victoria, and from Port Angeles, Washington to Victoria. In case you wanted to avoid the drive via Vancouver.

If you only have 3 or 4 days, I'd be inclined to spend a couple of days in Victoria, and then spend a day or two going up towards the Parksville area.

An orca watching trip out of Victoria is worth the effort - though being from the Eastern Seaboard, you may have seen all the whales you want.

Good luck - have fun.

Joe

Mentioned in this post
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Parksville
Parksville
Vancouver Island, Canada
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Thank you all for your replies - very helpful. We are outdoors people and are planning to do some hiking, whale watching(I like the recommendation for Orca's out of Victoria), observing the scenery as we drive, alittle shopping, and just enjoyng what the area offers. No spa's or anything I can do back home. I'm thinking of leaving Victoria early on day 3 and spend 1/2 day or so in Nanaimo and then on to Tofino for 2 nights. Then in the morning of my 5th day to the north end/Port Hardy for one more night(this end of the island sounds like definately worth seeing). Possibly I should plan an additional day for the north end and stop in Cambell River area. Does this sound reasonable? Any recommendations for whale watching, hiking, things to do in the Tofino area? Again my thanks

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Spending time in Nanaimo isn't really worth your time - better to stop and see the murals in Chemainus and then stop in Coombs for some funky shopping on your way to Tofino. (Websites in that list I posted already)

It's about 6 hrs steady driving Tofino to Port Hardy. A bit far to go for such a short time. I'd suggest maybe going as far as Campbell River - about 3 hrs drive. You can walk on the pier and have an ice cream, see the Maritime Heritage Centre www.bcp45.org - it has all sorts of marine artifacts and houses the BCP 45 - an old time coastal seine boat that was pictured on the back of the Canadian $5 for years. Maybe go to Quadra island (15 min ferry ride) and spend the night at Heriot Bay www.heriotbayinn.com

That would give you a taste of Victoria, the west coast and the east coast of Vancouver Island. If you could do 2 nights in the Campbell River/Quadra Island area would be good.

Look over this webcam website for some virtual tours and pictures of Campbell River area including the pier, the Maritime Heritage Centre and looking towards Quadra island.

www.campbellriverbc.net/webcam/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Nanaimo
Nanaimo
Vancouver Island, Canada
Chemainus
Chemainus
Vancouver Island, Canada
Coombs
Coombs
Vancouver Island, Canada
Port Hardy
Port Hardy
Vancouver Island, Canada
Campbell River
Campbell River
Vancouver Island, Canada
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
Quadra Island
Quadra Island
British Columbia, Canada
Lancaster...
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Thank you very much for this information. Very helpful. I am very anxious to make this trip!!

Comox,British...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Chillywilly

You may also want to consider the Comox Valley.

Lots goin on for outdoor activity.Dubbed as the recreation capital of Canada

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

Islandrockin,

Thanks for the recommendation of Comox Valley. I will add it to my itinerary. I definately need to add another day. Many thanks

queensland australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me plan my trip to Vancouver Island!

hi just noticed your post.

i had a week in tofino 2006 and did a great bear watch boat tour - just booked it at a local shop. am going to vancouver, howard lake, and powell river next friday.

have a great time.

maggie