We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockies in July 08

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Rockies in July 08

Hi Guys,

It would be helpful if you could review my itinerary for the Rockies trip I've planned in July/Aug 08 from Australia. Help me out whether you think it's viable -

Sat 26Jul, arrive Vancouver and spend 1night.

Sun 27Jul, drive to Whistler and spend 2 nites.

Tues 29Jul, drive to Jasper and spend 2 nites.

Thurs 31 Jul, drive to Banff and spend 3 nites

Sun, Aug3 drive to Calgary and spend 1 nite

Fly out of Calgary Aug 4.

Is all this too much driving time with not much time for sitseeing? Should I limit my time in some places?

Any thoughts would be awesome!!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockies in July 08

G'day Clairebfly,

As the BC/AB locals would be sleeping now, please allow me to put in my .02c worth to your inquiry as a fellow Aussie virgin traveller to be in the area (June 2008).

I have been researching our similar trip for 4 months now, and my observations are these, acknowledging that local advice may be far better.

27/7/08 Vancouver/Whistler - about 2 hours leaving time for plenty of things to do in Whistler.

28/7/08 Still in Whistler, and depending on what sort of things you are interested in, may be too much time.

29/7/08 Whistler/Jasper - long drive - 8 hrs?

30/7/08 Jasper - plenty of things to do, could spend another day there IMO.

31/7/08 Jasper/Banff - only about a 4 hr drive if in a hurry, but advice on TA is not to; so much to see and do in between. I am allowing 8 hrs for this leg in the other direction for our trip, which we will also travel again in reverse later on.

1/8/08 Banff - plenty to do and see.

2/8/08 Banff - as above, and which could also take another day.

3/8/08 Banff/Calgary - only about a 2 hr drive. Things to see and do in Calgary are, again IMO, not as exciting as in the other areas, and that is also advised by my daughter who lives there, so why spend so much time in Calgary?

4/8/08 Fly out from Calgary - depending on the time of your flight, you could spend another day in Banff then drive to Calgary to meet the airline checkin requirements.

As I indicated, just my humble opinion formed from months of perusing this forum, although I hope it may be of some assistance to you. Also remember that the sun sets around 10:00 pm in the Rockies at the time of your travelling giving plenty of time to still see/do things.

Happy planning

Brian

BTW, are you flying Air Canada direct Sydney/Vancouver; I am looking forward to that direct flight.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockies in July 08

Good job with the comments, Frommy; I don't have much more to add.

Note that August 4 is a holiday here, so that weekend will be very busy in the parks, and there will be heavy traffic driving into Calgary on the 4th. So if you plan to drive into Calgary to catch your flight, it might be good to allow a bit of extra time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockies in July 08

Thanks guys! Very helpful!

I am flying Qantas actually via SF. I looked into the AirCanada direct flight but it was a little more expensive and I have the Qantas Frequent Flyer points! Might as well try and get some! Haha.

You're comments sound good to me. I didn't think spending too long in Calgary was such a good idea (esp with no stampede on). So you think cut my time down in Whistler and spend 4 nites (the most of my time) in Banff? From there I'll do the Lake Lou day trip I think (my reasearch suggests not to bother spending the night there, and do it just in one day) or perhaps even do it driving in from Jasper.

Have you got car hire Frommy? Any good places you have seen? I'm now thinking to hire my car from Vancouver and keep it up until my first day in Banff, then transfer with a bus from Banff to Calgary airport(only around $74). People have suggested to me not to bother keeping the car the whole time in Banff becauase you can do it on foot!

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,920 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockies in July 08

Clairebfly, the TOWN of Banff is quite small and compact, and it is easy to walk around, however the scenic sites of Banff National PARK are rather spread out and it is hard to sightsee without a vehicle. Lake Louise, for instance, is a 45 minute highway drive from Banff (about 60 km), and Moraine Lake is about 14 km (if I remember correctly) from Lake Louise.

I would check what the drop charges are for leaving the car in Banff vs. Calgary, and only leave it in Banff once done sightseeing IF it's $75 cheaper to do so.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,576 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockies in July 08

jerm, thanks for the kind comments.

Claire, we are hiring a car in Calgary, with daughter who will be travelling with us on the land leg of our trip, and when we embark on our cruise daughter will drive it back to Calgary. I forgot to mention the potential for one way hire fee, sorry.

We have been looking at car hire options and decided to stay with one of the big 3, mainly because it should be easier to book in Aus before we go. Potentially you would have less problems avoiding the on way fee with one of them also, but that is something I had no need to look at.

I agree with krp329 - you should plan to keep the car in Banff and drop it off in Calgary. That could also be a factor in the one way thing as I imagine many more cars are hired from Calgary than in Banff!

Happy planning.

Brian

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockies in July 08

>>jerm, thanks for the kind comments.<<

You're welcome.

>>So you think cut my time down in Whistler and spend 4 nites (the most of my time) in Banff?<<

That would be something to consider. It depends on what kinds of activities you're planning. If you're not going to spend much time in Vancouver/Whistler, you may also consider flying into Calgary and focusing on the Rockies. This would also save the drop-off charge on the rental car.

>>From there I'll do the Lake Lou day trip I think (my reasearch suggests not to bother spending the night there, and do it just in one day) or perhaps even do it driving in from Jasper.<<

It's easy to visit Lake Louise from Banff, and it's probably not worth the hassle of switching accommodation. I wouldn't worry about trying to see LL on the way from Jasper; there are enough things to see between Jasper and LL. You will probably want to spend at least a full day in the LL/Yoho areas.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockies in July 08

shame you dont have longer!!

as part of our trip a feww years back we did

banff 4

jasper 2

kamloops 1

whistler for lunch

vancouver 3

so id say do it - no great changes needed

personally id have a night longer in vancouver and shorter in whistler

and mak consider swapping whistler for kamloops to even up the driving

thought occurred - since you are from sydney perhaps vancouver isnt the same attraction a it is to us

an australian colleague of mine described whistler as the most beautiful place she had ever seen!!

so really, you cant go wrong!!

8. Re: Rockies in July 08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 22:20