We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK mobile phones

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
UK mobile phones

Does anyone know if a triband UK mobile will work in Vancouver? I have heard that Canada has a completely different system to most places.

Thanks.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK mobile phones

Your Tri-band cellphone may work in parts of Canada, including Vancouver.

Most parts of Canada use CDMA-based cell coverage, so SIMs cannot be swapped out.

However, GSM is starting to rise in prevalence, and Tri-Band phones are starting to sell here more since a lot of business people need a phone they can a "world" phone when travelling off the "continent."

Definitely check with your cell provider to see if they have an arrangement, i.e. agreement, with any Canadian companies to cover your use here. I know some from the UK can take their phones to Mexico and I can take my phone to Mexico, so it is possible ....

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK mobile phones

Jan81:

I have been using my GSM phone in BC since 2004. (It also works well in the UK and in Europe.) Rogers Wireless is the predominant carrier here and has excellent coverage throughout the lower mainland (Vancouver area) and on Vancouver Island. Check with your local provider but there should be no problem. Expensive, however, since roaming charges will probably apply both to incoming and outgoing calls. If you are staying for a while, and IF your phone us unlocked you might consider purchasing a SIM chip from Rogers when you get here.

Good luck

N-B

3. Re: UK mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 01:16