We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12-hour layover - what to do?

London, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
12-hour layover - what to do?

Hi there

i've got a trip planned this summer in which there will be a 12-hour layover (from 11 am - 11 pm) in Vancouver. What can one do during this time? And does the airport have secure luggage storage for a few hours while I explore the city? How long does it take from the airport to the city? I'm not into visiting museums - rather I prefer shopping for unique/local stuff, I love architecture, photography, and getting to experience the local culture and cuisine.

Any suggestions for an 8-hour day? (allowing enough time for me to get to and from the airport & check-in)

Thanks!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12-hour layover - what to do?

yes there is left luggage at the airport.. after you exit customs turn right and then go to the far back right corner of the International arrivals level to find left luggage.

You can easily take a cab into town.. at your arrival time should be about 1/2 hour..cost about $25.

I would head for Granville Island for the artists shops and some late lunch..then take the aquabus ( watertaxi) across False Creek to the English Bay area..walk towards Stanley park and stroll along the seawall for awhile. cut back across by Lost Lagoon over to the Bayshore Hotel and walk the seawall back towards downtown.. all the way to Canada Place ( if you're tired catch a bus going along Georgia..get off at Burrard and walk down to Canada Place)..then catch a cab over to Yaletown..have a great dinner at Blue Water Cafe or someplace nearby ( check www.dinehere.ca for restaurant picks) then catch a cab back to the airport.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12-hour layover - what to do?

I'd head to Steveston. First, it's closer to the airport than downtown, and you won't run into as much traffic going to and from. Steveston is a charming fishing village, located in the same city as the airport, but due south. It's easily accessible by bus or taxi from the airport, and it's a perfect place to spend the afternoon, have a great dinner, and get back to the airport in plenty of time for our flight.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12-hour layover - what to do?

I second Granville Island. Grab a cab from the airport and go there. It's a good place to see Vancouver life, great shopping, lots of places to eat. I also agree that you should then take the Aquabus from there over to the West End, stroll the sea wall and then wander downtown. You'll have lots of time to get back to the airport if you have dinner downtown. Just keep your fingers crossed for good weather.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,073 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12-hour layover - what to do?

You know,I love Steveston and always send people there if they have some time to kill before a flight, but I think you actually have too much time and will run out of things to do in Steveston. Even with all the time spent getting sorted at the airport and in transit, you should still have a good six hours downtown. Granville Island, False Creek and Yaletown are all accessible by Aquabus/False Creek Ferries (they both have websites, so you can look them up), with lots of options for wandering aimlessly, browsing, eating and enjoying the spectacular urban views from that side of town. You could probably even rely on the bus to get into town (www.translink.bc.ca).

5. Re: 12-hour layover - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 07:18