We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

Hi, there -

Is it logical/reasonable for us to attempt the following itinerary?

July 6 - arrive Seattle, stay overnight

July 7 - take Clipper ferry to Victoria for 3 nights

July 10 - take ferry (which one??) back to Vancouver for one night, stay at Wedgewood.

July 11 - return to Seattle (best way to get back to Seattle from Vancouver as we have no car?)

July 12 - Fly home from Seattle

We don't HAVE to stay in Vancouver, but we seem to have scored a good deal on the Wedgewood Hotel there and I like the idea of staying in a really nice hotel. But is this just impractical, given that we don't plan on renting a car since we'll be spending most of our time in Victoria?

Any advice?

Oh - and I'm under the impression, based on my reading and research, that American citizens flying into Seattle and then crossing the border by ferry or what have you are not required to have a passport, only a birth certificate and state-issued ID...I'm hoping this hasn't suddenly changed.

THanks for all the help and advice!

~Becky

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,680 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

Hi,

You give no indication of your ages or family status, but for most people there is so much more to do in Vancouver and Seattle, I question the time frame you have devoted to Victoria? Its a quaint city but its good for a day or so but 3 nites? and not needing to visit Vancouver? If you want to elaborate great, but I think I'd redo your itinerary. If you click on my name you can read inside page on trips to Vancouver and Victoria. Amtrak.com has the best scenic route into Vanouver. You can take the clipper one way and Amtrak the other. Its a very nice trip. If you do that you can train to Vancouver spend a few days then take a bus to Tswassen and get on the BC Ferry to "Victoria' then return on the Clipper. Doing it in reverse works as well and no you don't really need a car. Driver license and Birth Certificate will work if it has a raised seal. Passports work easier but birth cert at a minimum.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,759 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

Hi;

As part of the budget that US President Bush signed on December 26, 2007, the law requiring the use of passports at LAND crossings to re-enter the US, will not be implemented until June 2009 at the earliest. (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative)

travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Currently, you need photo ID (i.e. driver’s license) AND your birth certificate for Customs on both sides of the border, OR a passport.

If you are FLYING into or out of the US, you must have a passport.

For more details, read the “Crossing the Border” Traveler Article here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s602/Canada:C…

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

I also think that 3 nights in Victoria is too much. It is a nice little city, but I think it can be done in two days. Vancouver and Seattle both have a lot more to offer then Victoria does.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

Well I completely disagree with the previous members regarding Victoria. No, Victoria is not as big as Seattle or Vancouver but that's why people go there! And there is plenty to do in Victoria over a four day period. Unlike Vancouver or Seattle, if you're not renting a car, Victoria is perfect because everything is in walking distance. It really depends on what kind of traveller you are but it's not hard to fill up a 4 day itinerary in Victoria. I could write one up for you if you like. Secondly, you don't want to be rushing around trying to fit everything in to two days. I'll admit that it can be done (the main things) but then it's not all that relaxing (in my opinion.)

Did you have ideas on what you wanted to do in Victoria?

-Kayaking in the Inner Harbour

-Whale Watching Trip

-City Tour on Double Decker Bus

-Afternoon Tea

-Butchart Gardens (Fireworks on Saturdays)

-Craigdarroch Castle & Hatley Castle

-Feed the seals at Fisherman's Wharf

-Do one of Victoria's Ghostly Walk Tours

-Shopping on Government Street

-Enjoy the Buskers in the Inner Harbour

-Visit the world famous Royal BC Museum

-Take a free tour of the BC Legislature

-Wax Museum, Beacon Hill Petting Zoo, Miniature World (for the kids)

...and all of this is just Victoria! I haven't even started talking about the outlying areas....

Getting from Vancouver to Seattle is easy. Either take Amtrak (train) or the Quik Shuttle (bus).

And no, you do not need any passports for land/sea crossings.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,710 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

To me, it seems rushed. You could easily spend your time exploring any one of the three destinations and not run out of things to see or places to explore. I guess it depends on what kind of vacation experience you are looking for. It is certainly doable, although you may find all the extra travelling tiring. Certainly the ferry trip through Active Pass from Swartz Bay to Tswwassen is lovely.

6. Re: Seattle to Victoria then back to Vancouver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 21:19