We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canada Trip...Whistler and more

Exeter, Devon, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Canada Trip...Whistler and more

Hi,

Myself and boyfriend are planning a trip to Canada for about 3 weeks and would like to do/see as much as possible. We'll be flying into Vancouver and hope to go to Whistler to ski for a while. From there ideas we have are rockies, seeing wildlife bears etc and anything else other people can recommend?? Also when do people think would be the best time of year to go?? I've just read that the ski season doesn't start until mid-nov. What would people recommend...where should we go.....what should we do???

Any advice would be great!!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canada Trip...Whistler and more

the rockies are best from about mid april to october, so working in skiing and the Rockies may be difficult. You could go to Vancouver and take the Rocky Mtnr to Banff or Jasper which would be just a great trip. You can look at Brewster for bus options to Banff. Sort of depends on when you want to visit or what your priorities are.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,973 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canada Trip...Whistler and more

Hmmm - skiing and lots of travel. Key thing you may be missing here - we have lots of mountains, lots and lots and lots of mountains. I'd have to take out a map to be sure, but I'd guess we have about six mountain ranges between the coast and the Rockies. Most people seem to think the Rockies are the only mountains here, so I thought I should clear that up. Travelling these mountains in winter is a bit risky. We have narrow mountain highways that wind slowly up and down the passes.

If you want to ski, plan on late season "spring skiing". You probably won't be able to ski down to the village, but you will most probably be able to travel the roads. March/April time. However, that's when it's rainy. It's also not a good time for wildlife viewing. Many animals migrate or hibernate, so you'll be looking at a few deer and the occasional crow. Summer and fall are the best times for wildlife viewing.

If you want to ski, come to ski. If you want to sightsee, then you really need to come at a different time of year to make the best of your trip. Sounds like you need to make some decisions....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canada Trip...Whistler and more

Do you mean 3 weeks or in 3 months? Bears and most wildlife will still be in hibernation. Ski season at Whistler lasts until June, but all the big powder dumps are now (Jan-Feb).

I think you need to narrow down your ideas...are you hear for skiing or wildlife/sightseeing/touring?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canada Trip...Whistler and more

you can combine wildlife sightseeing with skiing, but you have to do that in the rockies (ie eastern BC/western Alberta...banff, kicking horse, lake louise, jasper, sunshine, panorama, fernie). wildlife that dont hibernate and are plentiful are the elk, the mountain goat, the fox and the coyote, while you may catch a very rare glimpse of a cougar, or a wolf. you wont be able to see bears (grizzly or black) anywhere during the ski season except for at the tail end of the season (late april) in either the rockies or the coast mountain range or anywhere in between since theyre in hibernation.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canada Trip...Whistler and more

Have some fun on your trip if you are skiers and make the most of our mountains by skiing Whistler and the local hills, Sun Peaks, Silver Star to the other side of BC -Red Mtn.

6. Re: Canada Trip...Whistler and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 22:15