We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BC Wines

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
BC Wines

Hi everyone - travelling to YVR in June and my Dh and I have a tradition on vacation of bringing home several bottles of good, local wine. (And coffee...but I digress. Caffe Artigianno, here we come!)

We are not leaving downtown (excepot for a daytrip to Whistler), but can you suggest some wonderful BC wines for us to bring home? The good news is, since we're from Canada, there is no limit per person, except what we can carry. :D

Thanks again to you all!

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BC Wines

do you prefer red or white, certain varietals?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BC Wines

Prefer reds, but a good white would be awesome too. PORT wines are my favorite.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: BC Wines

price range?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BC Wines

No worries about price, we just want some suggestions for where to start for local wineries.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BC Wines

heres a couple of whites i like seeya later ranch riesling, wild horse canyon chardonnay (both avail @ bc liquor stores), and tantalus riesling avail @ liberty wine merchants

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BC Wines

My pics are pretty much anything from Burrowing Owl, NK’Mip which is my new favorite winery; Black Hills Note Bene (if you can find it). If you like sparkling wine, Blue Mountain is good or Inniskillin for Ice Wines.

Places to buy - In downtown, the Sutton Place Wine Merchant in front of the Sutton Place Hotel. Or on Granville Island visit Liberty Wines.

Here are some options base on best of BC wines 2008 from Vancouver Mag

guestlife.com/media/…

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: BC Wines

If you can find one of the Ports made from Blackberries you're in for a treat!

http://www.broadwaywineshop.ca/ is where I've bought it in the past.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BC Wines

The latest I found is called Rigamarole Red, from Rigamarole Winery in Oliver. It's different, but nice. Kind of a funky bottle label and not expensive. So many wines, so little time...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,031 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BC Wines

Sumac Ridge makes a "Pipe" (because Port, like Champagne, is a region, so if it isn't from Portugal, you are not allowed to call it Port) that I think is a real treat. I've stopped in at Hester Creek a few times and quite like their wines. Wasn't impressed with what I tasted at Burrowing Owl when we were there, but they do have a reputation for being outstanding. Inniskillin was just starting to grow Zinfandel, and that was nice.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
698 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BC Wines

You could also try Marquis wine cellars, they have some of the best selections and are very helpful finding some local wines. Top BC reds are not always easy to find, you could try Osoyoos Larose and possibly wines from Summerhill ( their whites are very good ), and possibly some of the higher end Mission Hill wines.