We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not in the Top 10 ~ Renaissance Hotel?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Not in the Top 10 ~ Renaissance Hotel?

I've been reading thru lots of hotel advice in the forum on "where to stay in Vancouver" but I've not seen anyone mention the (Marriott) Renaissance. A "search" on TA brings up some very good reviews yet no one recommends it on the Forum pages. Is there a reason? We were hoping to stay there using Marriott points but now I'm wondering ....

Naples
Level Contributor
293 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not in the Top 10 ~ Renaissance Hotel?

Oops, it's me again with another question sort of along the same lines: Would we be better off using our Marriott points at the Victoria Marriott Inner Harbor (we originally planned on staying at the Empress Fairmount but I'm not liking some of the TA reviews) instead of using them at the Marriott Renaissance in Vancouver?

If you think the Victoria Marriott is the better choice for our points, where do we stay in Vancouver? Sorry to be such a twit!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not in the Top 10 ~ Renaissance Hotel?

The Fairmont Empress is one of those venerable hotels that, at its advanced age, might not generate the great reviews yet it is so stately in its appearance and location that staying there at least once in a life is a must. The Marriott Pinnacle across the street from the Renaissance is farther from current waterfront construction activity, newer and might be a better choice than the Renaissance (which began life as a Holiday Inn)but no Marriott is a bad hotel. Go ahead, you're safe using your points in Vancouver.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not in the Top 10 ~ Renaissance Hotel?

I have stayed at the Victoria Marriott and have to say that it is a terrific hotel. It is quite new and the rooms are lovely, and we found the staff to be excellent. I can't say anything specific about the Empress as I have not stayed there, but you could always have tea or a meal there in order to get the ambience in. One of the regulars on this forum noted last week that the Renaissance has newly refurbished rooms, so it might be a good pick for you due to that. I think the Pinnacle is more upscale, though. The Marriott Residence Inn is being rebranded (as of Saturday)as the Cascadia Hotel Vancouver. It will be run by the same management group and staff as when it was a Marriott. It is by no means in the league of the Pinnacle, but it is a decent hotel and the really good news about the changeover is that the rates are going down quite a bit (I always thought the regular rates were too high for what you got). They also have some really attractive deals going now in order to attract new business. You might give it a look if you like the Marriott brand as the new hotel does not appear to be very different from the old one under the Residence Inn moniker, and it could equal a nice deal (and thus you could use your points in Victoria).

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,800 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Not in the Top 10 ~ Renaissance Hotel?

I've stayed at the Rannaisance several times a yr for the past 5 yrs. There was a time when the rooms were getting a little dated, though they were very large. When the Pinnacle opened across the street more people tended to recommend that hotel. Since the Rennaissance had a remodel I think its a great hotel. If your looking at TA reviews the top 10 doesn't always mean much.

5. Re: Not in the Top 10 ~ Renaissance Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 00:17