We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

Husband and I are visiting Vancouver the last week of May and Grouse Mtn is on our list to see. We're wondering about the best time of day to go. We'd like to see the grizzly bears, so that suggests to me that early morning would be good. But my husband thinks the view of Vancouver from the top of Grouse at night is supposed to be fantastic. We're not really interested in eating at the restaurant so other than checking out the view, I don't think there would be anything to do after dark. Any recommendations? Much appreciated.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

The problem with going after dark is in late May it won't be really dark until almost 10pm!!! .. or even later... We usually try to take visitors up around 11 am or in early afternoon. Assuming it's a clear day then you can get a great view all the way to Vancouver Island and have time to ride the smaller chair up to the very top, check out the displays, possibly see bears etc. I would go in the morning and then do Lynn Canyon after. This makes for a really nice day. Take the seabus over from Waterfront Station then the bus to Grouse. Much easier than driving. Here's the link for transit planning.

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

if you want a good view of the city and lights then have a drink at one of the two revolving restaurants.. .Cloud Nine or Harbor Centre... or if you have a car then drive out to Burnaby Mountain, near SFU and have dinner at Horizons Restaurant on the mountain just below Simon Fraser UNiversity with spectacular view of downtown.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

You can also drive up to the viewpoint in Cypress Provincial Park, which is the next mountain to the west from Grouse, so you don't need to pay to go and look at the night view across the city. Personally, I think the view from Cypress beats the view from Burnaby Mountain. It is something to go up one of the mountains at night to see the city lights, but as Grouse is the only mountain you have to pay to go up, then I'd vote for one of the others. You're supposed to pay to park in the Provincial Parks, but if you are just stopping at the view point for a bit to admire the view, then I wouldn't worry about it.

You also get a great night time view of the city from Spanish Banks, which is on the south side of English Bay heading out towards the University of BC.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

Ok here is the real scoop on going to Grouse Mtn before June....There WILL BE SNOW! We have had a great snow/ski season this year and it keeps snowing as we have cool temps up on the mtns.

The chances of seeing the bears since the Grizzly Den area will be covered in snow will be more slim before June. Expect to walk around in the snow. This would not be the time to walk around in your runners but in proper hiking boots or some waterproof shoe with traction. Bring warm clothes. Expect areas of mud mixed with snow. Best local tip is if you can not see the top- don't go.

Grouse has a great restaurant with stunning views. You can easily take the gondola to the restuarant without walking in the snow.

The snow will remain there until most likely Mid-late June.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

Correction on the above post on skiing and snow on Grouse in May

Yes there's a high chance there is some snow on the ground, however Grouse stops their skiing/boarding at of April 26th, which is actually 2 weeks more than the scheduled closing date. They start their summer season on Saturday May 16th.

Grouse clears the trails to the beers however some parts will be a bit wet and muddy. The bear are actually out of hibernation right now. They'll eventually clear more of the snow, so by the time they open in late May, the majority of the snow in the refuge will be cleared out.

In the summer they have thier Lumpberjack and Birds of Prey Shows that are free with your gondola ticket (along with the free movies available year round - there are 2 movies, which alternate every 30 minutes on the hour).

The starting date for the shows haven't been confirmed yet but usually at the end of May or beginning of June

Birds in Motion Show

1:30pm, 3:30pm and 5:30pm

Lumberjack Show

12:00, 2:30 and 4:30

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

Correction Bumble Bee - This came straight from Management and since I go up to the mtns almost every week, I will promise you this yr WILL BE SNOW INTO JUNE.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

Just received confirmation from Grouse's management team that the Birds in Motion and Lumberjack Show will start on May 16th along with their other freebies included with the gondola pass.

Theatre in the Sky - every 30 minutes starting at 9:30 am with Animal Tracks and Born to Fly at 10:00 am

Screaming Eagle Chair Lift - 10:00 am to 7:00 pm

Ranger Talks located at the Refuge (where the bears are) - 15 minutes

10:00, 11:30, 2:00 and 4:00

Mountaintop Eco Walk, Guided Tour - 45 minutes

11:00, 1:00, 3:00 and 4:00

There are some other pay on your own items such as Zipline and Helicopter flights available.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

I still stand by my statement;

There will be snow in June.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

not saying there won't be any snow, but the pathway to the den will be cleared.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

oops.. before I forget... I haven't been to Grouse since Feb, so can't comment on the amount of snow it has or will have so I'm sure you're correct advcardio that there will be snow. My comments were more pertaining to the fact that there won't be any skiing on Grouse as of April 26th, and that the cement trails will be cleared of all snow. That doesn't mean they clear the entire mountain top, just what they need to facilitate the summer activities.

10. Re: Grouse Mountain - best time of day to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 11:22