We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Island sea kayaking rental/day tour

Walnut Creek, CA
4 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver Island sea kayaking rental/day tour

Hello everyone,

I'm researching a trip to Vancouver Island in July. We're hoping to either rent a sea kayak for the day or join a kayaking day tour. We do not want to do a lengthy multi-day tour (it sounds wonderful but just too expensive). Does anyone know where we can rent some sea kayaks for the day or a company that runs sea kayaking trips just for the day? I've heard Broughton Archipelago is a good place to sea orca while kayaking. Any pointers?

Hannah

Vancouver Water Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, City Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Water Sports, Boat Tours
Ecomarine Paddlesport Centres
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Dam Good Trips
Hiking & Camping Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Creekside Kayaks
Kayaking & Canoeing
Port McNeill
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Island sea kayaking rental/day tour

If you are renting or joining a kayak day trip you will access the Broughton Archipelago from Telegraph Cove . You actually won't make it into the true Broughton Archipelago on just a day trip but will stay within a few miles of Telegraph Cove in Johnstone Strait. The orcas hang out more here anyway.

There are two local companies that offer kayak day trips, Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures, www.kingfisher.ca and North Island Kayak, www.kayakbc.ca . North Island kayak also offers rentals. You will want to have some experience in kayaks before renting due to the tides, currents and quick changing weather. There are also whale watching guidelines that you need to follow, your guide or the rental company will make you aware of these.

Note that you can only go so far in a kayak in a day and even if the orcas are in the general area they need to come your way for you to see them- they swim a lot faster than you can kayak. Success rates of seeing orcas on a kayak day trip are about 50% from early July to mid-September. Whereas multi day trips have much higher success rates. if you can't join a longer trip you may consider also going out with one of the local whale watching companies to increase you chances. Click on my name and look at my inside pages for links to local whale watching companies and other things to do on northern Vancouver Island.

2. Re: Vancouver Island sea kayaking rental/day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2009, 06:33