We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fireworks

CHESTER UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
fireworks

We will be in Vancouver on July 22nd,on the first evening of the firework competition. If we wanted to watch where would be the best place & when would you have to get there to get good spot.

We are on tight schedule with so many things we want to do, so if we decide not to watch how much disruption does this event cause. Are there particular areas on that evening you should avoid?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fireworks

The best spot is from English Bay. To get a good spot you'd want to be there at 7-8pm by the latest.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fireworks

I have watched it from Sunset Beach. It's farther away from the action but less crowded than English Bay.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,305 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fireworks

This event causes total shutdown. I believe audiences are between 200 and 400 THOUSAND around English Bay. We come in from the eastern suburbs, and usually have to forge a fairly creative plan to get out afterwards. It can take a couple of hours to get home again.

Traffic access to the beachfront and access routes is usually closed to ALL traffic. Police are inspecting bags for alcohol, which is not allowed, and it can be a real crush. I've always avoided the downtown side and watched it from the south side of English Bay. You can see the fireworks from all around the bay, as well as from the tops of the surrounding mountains. Also, there are many boats out in the harbour, another great vantage point.

We watched one year, when our kids were quite little, from Spanish Banks. They were quite small, but the kids got the idea, and we didn't have the same crowd crush, which felt safer with the kids.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fireworks

I suppose I should have elaborated.

It's true that English Bay can be a pain if you're a local and you live outside of downtown, but if you're a visitor and you're staying at a hotel right downtown and don't have to worry about cars, parking, etc, then English Bay is the way to go. All the roads will be closed so you can just walk there leisurely and not have to worry about how you're going to get there. There will be crowds, but that's the reality.

Getting out to Spanish Banks or Kitsilano - while convenient for locals - doesn't make sense for those already staying downtown, or those without a car, especially since after the fireworks you'd have to fight your way back into downtown while everyone else is pouring out of downtown. As somebody who lives downtown, it's just the most convenient to watch from English Bay. Not to mention, the fireworks are set up to display towards English Bay, so you'd be getting the full effect. That's another reason why I feel that English Bay is best.

If you're going to be driving in from the suburbs, watching it from Jericho Beach or Spanish Banks will allow you to avoid the crowds, but you'll also be watching the fireworks from a distance.

Another suggestion is to get a table on the deck of Bridges restaurant on Granville Island and watch them from there. I did that a few years ago and it was like a secret viewing spot!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fireworks

Sorry but is this back on? Last I heard this was cancelled.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fireworks

They're back on - a group of new sponsors coughed up the however many hundreds of thousands of dollars it took to keep it going.

http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

CHESTER UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fireworks

Thanks for all the info - should be a great night

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,305 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fireworks

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that they should leave downtown to watch the fireworks from elsewhere. It was just the OP mentioned that they have a busy itinerary and would be running around. I wanted to make sure they were aware of what they will be dealing with on the evening if they are, for example, planning to spend the day out at the Museum of Anthropology, or another destination outside of the downtown core. Their best bet would be to spend that day in Stanley Park and other downtown destinations, and to leave the car parked, as there is significant congestion in the evening.

I also wanted to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting myself - I've never actually watched them from the downtown side, so what I know about that side is second-hand knowledge.

9. Re: fireworks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 06:26