We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Olympics 2010

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Monclova OH
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Olympics 2010

I want to go to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010, but would like to try to plan it in the least expensive way. Ive checked into the official Tour Operator, Cosport, but their packages and hotels are quite expensive. Is there any other way to book hotels and tickets without using Cosport?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

Hotels you can book through any of the chains, or sites like expedia, though most of the rooms in Downtown Vancouver and Whistler are already fully booked by Vanoc and the Official Suppliers. You might also try a site like www.vrbo.com for vacation rentals, or look at B&Bs.

As for tickets, Vanoc will be setting an official reselling site sometime in the next few months so that individuals/companies that have tickets they do not need (like my women's X-country tickets) can get rid of them.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,104 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

Welcome to TA.

I am planning a trip to the olympics quite inexpensively. Used frequent flyer miles to fly to Vancouver and return from Seattle ($10 in taxes). Then booked two hostels for a total of twelve nights - Whistler for 7 nights and Vancouver Downtown hostel for 5 nights (max 7 nights in any one hostel during the olympics). Have been booking the event tickets as they became available and in May I was able to secure the event tickets I still needed when Cosport started their Phase II sales. Total cost of my trip for one person including mostly grocery-bought food, lodging, transport, and event tickets is right about US$2,000.

I think some of the hostels are still available. Not sure about event tickets but I would book what you can now and keep filling in the pieces as they become available. Based on this and two previous olympics that I have attended, that is the best way to go. If you wait to book any piece of the puzzle until all pieces become available, you can throw "least expensive" out the window.

John

Alberta
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

My husband and I and our 2 friends will be going to the Olympics but we are staying with relatives in Chilliwack, BC. We will have a vechile. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get to the Olympic venues? Skytrain, bus, etc? Where to park our vechile? Any info would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,750 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

You may find some information on the Olympics Forum here on TA:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i13530-Vancouve…

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

http://www.vancouver2010.com/venues/

Follow the above link. Click on the venue you're trying to get to, and it will give you the bus numbers to take and how to get there etc.

There will be no parking at any of the sites, plus with the amount of road closures etc,. transit will be your best bet.... your game ticket includes free access public transit on the day of your event ticket. Or you can buy a week bus pass specificially for use over the Olympic dates.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

Getting in from Chilliwack may pose a bit of a problem for you, since, as far as I know, there is no public transportation from Chilliwack into Vancouver proper. (No doubt someone will quickly correct me if I am wrong about this.)

However, here is a link to the "park & ride" lots in suburban Metro Vancouver.

translink.ca/en/Driving/Park-and-Ride.aspx

They will likely be packed during the Olympics. However, one option may be to drive to a "park & ride" lot from Chilliwack and then take public transit into the city and on to the venue for your event.

Just as a caution - a number of the eastern "park & ride" lots are meant to service passengers for the "West Coast Express". This is a commuter train with limited service into Vancouver in the morning and limited service out of Vancouver during the afternoon.

Hope this helps.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,166 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

Simon Fraser University is offering a park and ride. You can drive to SFU in Burnaby, and then catch venue buses from there.

Olympic questions are better placed on the Vancouver 2010 forum.

Calgary
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

There's also the option of hostels which are an inexpensive way to travel. Check out www.hostelbookers.com for some options in Vancouver during the Olympic period.

There's also some contest going around for the Olympics http://www.hihostelspm.ca/blogthegames you might be interested in entering.

Cheers,

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,104 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

>>There's also the option of hostels which are an inexpensive way to travel. Check out www.hostelbookers.com for some options in Vancouver during the Olympic period.

The hostels are a great option for budget travellers, but I prefer to go directly to the source. For the Vancouver and Whistler hostels, that would be:

…hihostels.ca/WesternCanada/1131/2010_Winter…

10. Re: Vancouver Olympics 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 November 2009, 14:35