We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown Restaurant

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Chinatown Restaurant

I'm looking for a family friendly place to take 6 teens for dinner. Not fancy smanchy... just clean environment, good food, easy on the wallet..

There are so many, the only recommendation so far from friends is Hon's- although they haven't been for years.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.---Luv

British Columbia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

Does it have to be in Chinatown?

The only other restaurant I can think of is Floata and if you're willing to go for Vietnamese, Phnom Penh is the street over from Hon's.

I'd actually go to Phnom Penh (it's not all pho noodle dishes like most other Vietnamese restaurants) - order the chicken wings and the prawn or shrimp fried rice - these are customers' favourites. They have excellent combination dinners and soup noodles too.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
113 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

I have been to Wild Ginger at 88 West Pender (upstairs in Tinseltown) a couple of times and enjoyed it. Another place that comes to mind is New Mitzie on the corner of Main and East Pender. For more options, go to http://www.dinehere.ca/search.asp

Click the + sign next to "Vancouver" and choose Chinatown and you can read reviews of restaurants in the area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

Thanks,

Looking for just family style chinese, nothing fancy like The wild rice,

Have you heard about Sun Sui Wah on Main..? was also looking at Floata.

The teens we are taking have never been to a chinatown, so I thought it would be more of an experience for them if the restaurant was down that way also.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
113 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

Sun Sui Wah on Main is not in Chinatown and it is a lot fancier than Wild Ginger. BTW, it's Wild Ginger that I recommended, not Wild Rice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

Oops!

Sorry, reading too fast for my own good.

I will look up The Wild Ginger. It's very hard to find photos of these places online. I did have a look at Hon's, although it is more of a cafeteria style kinds place. Looking for something with a little more character.

Do you happen to know if any serve dim sum at dinner, or is it primarily a lunch thing?

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

With the exception of the Chinatown Night Market that's opened Friday to Sunday nights in the summer, Chinatown is rather quiet after the stores closes. Most of the shops close around 6pm.

However if you're looking for a restaurant in Chinatown, Hon's isn't bad, and has a great selection seeing that it not only offers wonton, noodles in soup, congee, BBQ meats, plus the usual Cantonese style dishes that you can order family style and enjoy with steamed rice. (There's also a Hon's on Robson).

Floata is more of a seafood restaurant, and though has some of the casual dishes specializes in more Chinese banquet style cuisine as it tries to cater to a more formal dinner experience. Not really a place for cheap eats.

If you don't mind Hong Kong style cafe, there's The Boss Bakery, Maxim's Bakery and Gold Stone, all three have a restaurant attached to the bakery.

Another place is New Town Bakery on Pender Street. It's an older place that has been around forever and has that old Chinese diner appeal... parents used to take me there as a little girl. They have the best apple tarts and steamed buns. Patrons are generally the older generation. This place is definitely more casual!

On the same street as New Town Bakery - Actually almost next door to it, is Gam Gok Yeun, which as also been in the same location for about 30 years. It has the same menu as Hon's (and I actually think the wonton noodles, congee and BBQ meats are better here), the inside is reminiscent of a noodle place in Hong Kong with that old charm.

Across the street from that is the Jade Dynasty. They serve dim sum all day, until close at 9:00 pm at night.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,247 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

I used to go for dim sum in Chinatown with coworkers on weekdays. Jade Dynasty might be something appropriate for what you're looking for:

http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=2497

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

Sorry...what is Hong Kong style cafe?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,247 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

You order food from the counter and bring it to your table - self service.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
430 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinatown Restaurant

Oh how I love trip advisor...except I'm overwhelmed with the choices!

The Gam Gok Yeun, sounds like a place the kids would remember with the atmosphere..that's also how I remember eating out with my parents in Chinatown.

So.. Gam Gok Yeaun or Jade Dysnasty?

BTW - does the JD have the dim sum as well as a regular menu?