We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Came back to post a THANK YOU - I'm homesick for YVR. :)

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Came back to post a THANK YOU - I'm homesick for YVR. :)

We've been back for a couple of weeks now, but I wanted to say an enormous thank you for all the kind advice and input we had over the past 6 months planning our trip. Everything was perfect- our activities, our hotel, restaurants. I feared having been there before this trip would be a let down, but honestly, it was probably the most wonderful trip out of several my husband and I have done together. Every day one of us looks at the other and says "I want to go away again". :)

So THANK YOU everyone and to all the helpful hometown folk - I hope you all delight in the amazing place you call home.

I'll post our schedule below for the folks looking for ideas. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,684 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Came back to post a THANK YOU - I'm homesick for YVR. :)

I'm so pleased it all went well! It helps that we have been having the most unbelievable weather. There is always more to explore here, so we'll be waiting for you on your next trip!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Came back to post a THANK YOU - I'm homesick for YVR. :)

Fri flew in at 2:30 pm, checked in to hotel. We stayed at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre. The rates were expensive so I called the reservations manager and he gave us $100 a night off our deluxe room and threw in free in-room internet when I asked. There was even sparking water waiting for us when we checked in. AMAZING! We were on the 23rd floor - floor to ceiling windows, 200 degree view of the water, city and mountains, deluxe bed and bath and huge living area. We were SPOILED and the service in the hotel was fantastic.

That night we ate our anniversary dinner at Sanafir. This is a Mediterranean tapas-style restaurant on Granville. We had a sample platter for two with Korean Baby Back Ribs, Punjabi Style Butter Chicken, Spicy Salt and Pepper Calamari, Kanafa Wrapped Tiger Prawns, Goat Cheese Stuffed Lamb Kibbeh and rice. We had the Naan & Hummus appetizer which was AMAZING. The food was AWESOME except for the calamari -I've had good calamari and this wasn't. ;)

Spent the rest of the evening wandering around by the Art Gallery and Robson St.

Sat - rented a car at Budget and drove the Sea to Sky Highway to Shannon Falls. Stopped at our favorite - Caffe Artigiano in Park Royal and indulged in a wonderful coffee for the road. :) Did some hiking around the falls (Don't attempt the Chief unless you have unlimited time and are outrageously fit). We didn't allow enough time and had to abort our mission and leave.

After lunch we met some family at Horseshoe Bay for fish and chips and crap dip at Troll's. Horseshoe bay was really hard to find, as all the signs had been taken down for construction on the highway due to the Olympics. Finally had to ask the locals. After our family left, we wandered down the pier and grabbed some coffee. On the way back we stopped at Park Royal again and perused the Liquor stores for Port Wine. Returned the car and chilled watching TCM the rest of the night. :)

Sun - Granville Island. My FAVORITE day. We walked and I had so much fun perusing beautiful things and taking pictures. We shared some more delicious hummus and naan from the market while we chilled on the dock. Found my favorite store TEN THOUSAND VILLAGES has just opened a location there. Almost bought a lamp that I had my eye on, but didn't want to lug 20 pounds of Pakistani marble back to the hotel.

Returned back to the hotel after lunch and regretted not bringing the lamp. :) So we looked online and found another location on Denman. To our delight, there was a "no car day" on Denman with a huge street fair, so we were rewarded for our walk with entertainment. Stopped on our way back up Robson at Thai House and picked up DELICIOUS food - spring rolls, pad thai and cashew chicken.

Mon - Spent the first half of the day walking the seawall and the trails in Stanley park. We had been there prior and it was very relaxing and enjoyable. After 16.5 Km seeing every inch, we walked back up Robson and ate some Mondo Gelato. Refreshing and delicious - Highly recommend the coffee crisp. :)

Tues we enjoyed some more Caffe Artigiano by the fountain in front of the art Gallery and met some lovely folks from all over the world. Did a little window shopping at Pacific Centre and my husband decided to give in to all the raving he heard about Japa-dog. The bonito flakes were fine, the wasabi mayo was fine...but one sniff and he knew the meat was not edible. 2 bites confirmed his suspicion and he ended up tossing it. We now refer to Japa-dog as "Vomit dog". Sorry, Vancouverites. ;) Then we got packed up to head back to the airport.

PERFECT trip - great food (minus the bacteria-laden meat the last day LOL), lots of activities and down time and amazing accommodation.

Thanks again, everyone! Can't WAIT to come back.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Came back to post a THANK YOU - I'm homesick for YVR. :)

Sounds like it all worked out with fitting in the relatives after all - as I recall that was a bit of an issue. Glad you enjoyed it - and there is only a province separating you from coming back!

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
331 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Came back to post a THANK YOU - I'm homesick for YVR. :)

Thanks IslandWest.

They spent 3 hours in the van on the way there (which what they didn't want), but they were in good spirits anyway and we're glad we stuck to our guns about North Van vs. White Rock. The day was wonderful.

We definitely want to return -have already started re-stocking our travel fund. :) Our plan is to see the world and have as many flights as possible connect in Vancouver, so we'll have an excuse to stay a few days, :)

5. Re: Came back to post a THANK YOU - I'm homesick for YVR. :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 08:29