We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vancouver to calgary

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
taunton someset...
1 post
Save Topic
vancouver to calgary

My husband and I are travelling to Canada during the last 2 weeks of Sept. We have allocated 5 days in and around Vancouver,but during the remaining 7 days we plan to drive to Calgary and back again to Vancover.Could anyone recommend a route there and back,places to stay and interesting sights to see.

Jessica4

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,211 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vancouver to calgary

You could easily do a circle tour via Kamloops, Revelstoke, Banff. Then via the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. The return could be via The Yellowhead Hwy, which is quite isolated and forested to Prince George and then down through Lillooet and Whistler.

Or you could go through Osoyoos (worth a look here in the Okanagan), Cranbrook and up to Banff/Jasper and then back through Revelstoke, Kamloops.

Here is a link to a Traveler's Article about this journey:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k28910…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vancouver to calgary

I second the Vancouver --> Kamloops (or Kelowna) --> Revelstoke --> Banff route. It will not disappoint. Driving between Jasper and Banff is a must-see drive (you'll see the quintessential Rocky Mountains overlooking turquoise lakes scenery you see on every Canadian postcard).

The drive to Prince George is alright, but it's very out of the way and will eat up a lot of your time. The scenery payoff isn't worth the hours you'll spend getting up there, in my opinion. (Although the Sea to Sky highway through Lillooet, Pemberton & Whistler IS pretty stunning).

I do recommend going through the south Okanagan (Penticton, Oliver, Keremeos, Osoyoos), though, especially in September, when it's prime wine season. I think driving from Calgary to Osoyoos via Invermere and Cranbrook, or Nakusp and Nelson are both pretty drives worth attempting.

Good luck and have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vancouver to calgary

Here's my recommended itinerary:

Day 1 - Vancouver to Revelstoke via the Fraser Canyon. At Hope take Hwy 1 instead of Hwy 5. Slower drive but much more scenic.

Day 2 - Revelstoke to Banff/Canmore (Banff is inside the National Park, Canmore is 15km from Banff just outside the NP)

Day 3 - Day trip to Icefields Parkway from Banff

Day 4 - Day trip to Calgary from Banff

Day 5 - Banff to Nelson (charming town, the Steve Martin film "Roxanne" was filmed there)

Day 6 - Nelson to Penticton (heart of the Okanagan Wine Country)

Day 7 - Penticton to Vancouver via Hwy 3 (Much more scenic than using Hwys 97C & 5).

I recommend using Banff or Canmore as your base in Alberta, they are much more scenic than Calgary.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vancouver to calgary

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

The route between Vancouver and Calgary via the Canadian Rocky Mountain parks is a well-travelled and much discussed itinerary here, although because of the geographic scope of it, the information is scattered among many forums. I would suggest browsing recent posts in the following: Canadian Rockies, Alberta, Banff, Jasper, Whistler, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Kamloops etc.

The forum "search" function will bring up loads of useful information. (Look for it just above the list of messages). Also, the TA "Traveler Articles" have a lot of helpful info. Go to the TA page for whatever destination you need advice, then look on the left hand side of the page, and you'll see them, starting with "Overview", "Before you go" etc.

Online maps can be very useful in laying out your itinerary - they have "directions" features which will give you mileage and driving times between stops. Try www.mapquest.com or www.maps.google.com .

Online resources that will be useful for the Rockies -

The Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise tourism offices:

www.jaspercanadianrockies.com

www.banfflakelouise.com

Parks Canada: www.pc.gc.ca - pick whichever park you want info for (Banff, Jasper, Yoho & Kootenay; once you are at the park's page, you'll see a menu down the left - choose "Visitor information"). Also, when you enter the park and pay your fee, you will be given an informative booklet that has information for all four parks.

Also, one of the main attractions in the area is the drive from Lake Louise to Jasper on a highway known as the Icefields Parkway - www.icefieldsparkway.ca . Although only about 225 km long, I usually recommend making a full day of it, stopping at the many scenic viewpoints, lakes, waterfalls along the way.

Hope this helps!

5. Re: vancouver to calgary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2010, 06:18