We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver airport early check in

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver airport early check in

My parents are on a cruise around Alaska and they want to check their luggage in early to Vancouver airport but can't find the earliest time this is possible. At Heathrow the earliest time is 12 hours before departure.

Level Contributor
2,458 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver airport early check in

I think it may depend on the airline, but I have experienced only about 4hrs before check-in. Some airlines will not have booths open before this time to check luggage in.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,907 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver airport early check in

My experience as well is 3 - 4 hours ahead. But here is a link to baggage storage at YVR.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,980 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver airport early check in

It does depend on what time your airline opens their booths up for that flight. In the past, it was 4 hrs. I used to check in as early as possible, then go down to Steveston or out to Iona Beach Regional Park for a couple of hours and get back to the airport in time to get through security and board my flight.

If your parents are on a cruise, they may find that the cruise line will make a hotel conference room available to them for the day to leave their luggage before going out to the airport. My mom did that once and was able to check her bags at the hotel with the cruise company and have a day downtown before I came down and picked her up. Your parents may want to inquire if this option will be available to them.

Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,795 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver airport early check in

Depending on which cruise terminal they are arriving into there are other options. The Pan Pacific hotel has luggage storage even for non-guests which is located where many cruise ships arrive (Canada Place). Not sure about Ballantyne pier.

If they are planning on touring the city between arrival from the cruise and departure from the airport, it is extremely inconvenient to go to the airport just for check in or luggage storage.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver airport early check in

There is no luggage storage location at Ballantye Piere but if you're parents are disembarking at Canada Place there is temporary luggage storage for cruise ship passengers. This is operated by CDS baggage (not the Pan Pacific Hotel).

They can store it and then go back to pick it up, OR they can also have CDS arrange to deliver their bags to the airport for them. There are 2 airport locations, so the best location to get their luggage deliverd to is to International Arrivals - from there, they just need to pick up their bags and go one floor up to International Departures. This will depend on how much time your parents have between the time they drop off their bags to the time they check in, as it may not meet CDS's delivery schedule.

6. Re: Vancouver airport early check in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 05:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now