We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
peoria, il
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
safety

What is downtown in the area around the Sheraton Wall like in the evening? Is the downtown pretty busy at night, safe to walk around alone and if so till what hour?

Also, I'm going to a performance at the Rickshaw theatre is it hard to catch a cab from there back to the hotel?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

Vancouver is a safe city.

The Sheraton Wall Hotel is located across from a busy downtown hospital and emergency department with the occasional siren but since it's also a residental area don't expect too much noise.

There is a 7-11 store on the corner of the hotel and has some street people around there but for the most part they put out there hand and remain quiet- this should not be a concern.

Depending on what part of downtown you walk along, some areas will be shut down and very quiet in the business area but try Yaletown or Robson street for a walk.

Enjoy your time in Vancovuer

Vancouver
Level Contributor
306 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

If I were picking quiet areas of downtown Vancouver, this one wouldn't make my list: there are ambulances heading for the hospital, bar patrons on the street, buses starting up, etc. A hotel north of Georgia Street will be quieter.

As to safety, I would say this part of Vancouver is safer than downtown Chicago and about the same as Manhattan, NY. You need to be alert but reports of incidents are very rare.

You may be able to hail a cab outside the Rickshaw, but if you don't see one, use your cellphone, or someone else's, to call one.

peoria, il
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

Thanks for the info. I'm excited about my trip to Vancouver on the 12th.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

Just a note that the Rickshaw Theatre is located on Hastings Steet near Main... it's not a very favorable place at night. You may want to arrange a cab to pick you up.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

If the Rickshaw Theatre really is located on Hastings Street near Main, then you should know that locals usually define the absolutely roughest part of Vancouver by referencing "Hastings at Main"!!!!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

But even then, it's more sketchy than truly dangerous (Main & Hastings). You're not going to run into gangland shootings and random muggings. The area is rough because it's dirty and has lots of drug addicts, mentally ill street people, homeless people. Chances are, they won't even pay attention to you.

And saying all of them, it's not a pleasant place to walk through alone in the dark if you're not familiar with the area (and don't know which streets to take to get to nicer areas).

Canada
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety

The area around the Sheraton is quite pleasant and you won't be disappointed. It is a perfectly safe area, so no worries there.

I agree that Hastings and Main is not a spot that most people want to hang around, but it does not ever seem actually dangerous when I have been there. It just looks it, and can be rather unsettling. I have waited for the bus on more than one occasion right on that corner and all the drug addicts, homeless, etc. that were steps from me truly looked right through me. I just didn't exist to them.

peoria, il
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety

Thanks for all the imput. I'll ask at the hotel before leaving if I should arrange in advance for a cab to pick me up after the show or if I can just call for one.

9. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2010, 06:23