We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo traveller dining out

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
68 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
solo traveller dining out

Hello, Are restraunts in the downtown Vancouver area friendly to solo diners? I dont want to limit myself to all the great eating places due to the fact that I might feel weird going in alone. I know it sounds trivial and i'm just looking for someone that might give me some insight into this. Thanks so much...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: solo traveller dining out

We had a very similar thread just a few weeks ago.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154943-i81-k30762…

You could try a PM to the OP and see if she has any first hand experience to share as I believe her trip was only last week.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo traveller dining out

Sorry - try a private message (PM) to the original poster (OP)...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: solo traveller dining out

In my experience, there are many restaurants that offer a bar or lounge area where people often dine alone. I would simply bring a paper or set up in front of a tv and enjoy the food.

Have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,696 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: solo traveller dining out

Things have improved for the solo diner over the years. They used to be seen as someone they just, eew, HAD to serve. Now, restaurants don't bat an eye.

(I remember the shift quite a while ago when some unrecognized celebrity - $$$$ - was refused service for being in shirt and jeans, but once the story came out, restaurants began to stop using singles and clothes to give themselves problems. Bad for business. From that they learned that they couldn't tell by looking who was a "valuable" customer. I've felt like a rich celebrity ever since!)

Solo diners have even been known to decline the table they have been shown to and request to sit at THAT table. No worries. The really high end restaurants might privately raise an eye at someone reading a book or a newspaper but they would not say a thing. Sometimes solo diners go just a little ahead of the crowd, which seems to work well. Just a little confidence and the body language that says you comfortably do it ALL the time, it's just a given, and Bob's your uncle. Servers will chat with you as well. Some restaurants have a policy of first come first served, like White Spot, where they will put a single in the last big booth, followed by a couple that ends up in a small booth.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: solo traveller dining out

It is very easy to dine solo in Vancouver, especially now, pre-Olympics, downtown. Joe Fortes, L'Hermitage, Griffins (Hotel Vancouver), Hy's Steakhouse;I've found them welcoming. Just walk in, smile, be gracious, and enjoy the great food Vancouver has to offer at superb prices. I've dined solo many evenings if working late. Most of downtown is used to business folks needing nourishment.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: solo traveller dining out

My 27 yr old daughter was taking a work related course and was put up in a rather nice Vancouver area hotel that had a bar attached. She waltzed herself in there, sat down, ordered the jug of beer which was on special (cheaper than buying two glasses) and saw a lamb burger special on the menu that tweaked her fancy. She said she did get some funny looks from some of the male patrons being she's only 5'2" and there she was alone at a table with a big burger and jug of beer.

But as mentioned, attitude works! She's not totally comfortable dining alone, but she was hungry.... and got a good chuckle to herself at herself.

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
68 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: solo traveller dining out

Thanks to all of you for your great feed back on this topic. Being confident and walking in like youve been there many times will surely make you stand out alot less and just make you feel like any other patron. This site rocks and I can't thank you all enough...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,696 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: solo traveller dining out

I was also going to say that other diners don't even think twice about a solo diner. In fact, if the party at the table is not having a romantic dinner, you could, when their meals arrive, even say something like "that looks great" (and they'll be watching your meal arrive too!) and more often than not you'll end up talking travel a bit. Play it by ear.

When dining alone, my personal preference for dealing with the host/hostess is to say "table for myself please" rather than "table for one." I just like the sound of it better.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: solo traveller dining out

I had solo meals at Yew, Coast, Nu and Raincity Grill on my most recent trip a couple weeks ago...as at other nice restaurants on previous trips, I felt completely comfortable as a solo diner. I usually prefer to sit at a table but at Coast, I decided to sit up at the bar which was more fun for that venue, I thought.

UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: solo traveller dining out

I visited vancouver over the summer for 6 nights as a solo female traveller of 39. I mostly travel alone and rarely have a problem. Sometimes the host/hostess will suggest I dine at the bar but when I say no they are totally fine about it. When in Vancouver i ate at the Italian Kitchen, Cin Cin, Zefferelle's, The Spaghetti Factory and Five Sails. All were a great dining experience. All very different. I used to take a book out with me but have grown in confidence so I now prefer to people watch!

Have a fabulous trip!!

Karen