We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about skiing resorts?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
6 posts
Save Topic
Advice about skiing resorts?

We are 2 couples in our late 20s who are coming to Vancouver in early Jan (arriving on 8th for 10 days). We'll be staying in Vancouver and renting a truck but we would like to take 4 days to travel up to one of the ski resorts within driving distance. We are new skiiers (and boarders) so we'll take lessons and want to rent a little chalet for the stay.

Obviously Whistler is going to be one of the most popular- but also the most expensive. I have heard good things about Silver Star, Sun Peaks and Manning Park also. In experts opinion (!) are these as good as Whistler (for snow, pretty chalets, somewhere to eat and somewhere to drink)? The biggest concern is getting value for money really.

Any advice about these would be SO appreciated!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,823 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

You'll get specific comments about various resorts and there are many more than you listed. As well as those resorts that you can drive to in 5 or 6 (or more)hours (Whistler is only 90 minutes away), Vancouver has three local mountains within 1/2 hour that feature lessons and night skiing/boarding. They might be good practice locations (or even a substitute) before heading to the resort of your choice.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

Both Silver Star and Sun Peaks are a good 5 hours away, one way. It will also require driving through the mountains in the winter which can be dangerous if you are not used to it. With such a short time, you could get stuck.

Silver Satr also requires chains or snow tires by law, neither of which you will get with a rental car.

As suggested, you could go to Grouse, Seymour, or Cypress which are basically in Vancouver.

Manning is closer than Silver Star or Sun Peaks but check their web page as they have shutdowns in January.

London
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

Thanks so much for the advice but as we will likely be hitting local mountains during our stay too, we were kind of hoping for a getaway outside of Vancouver...sounds like Whistler might be the best option then?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

You could also consider www.mountwashington.ca on Vancouver Island.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

Whistler makes the most sense, however another option is Big White outside of Kelowna (owned by the same company that owns Silver Star). You could look at flying into Kelowna and renting car there (which would have snow tires). Big White and Silver Star usually have package vacations you can look at. There are also local companies that do bus tours to the Interior Mountains like Sun Peaks, Big White, or Silver Star.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,710 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

Here's a list of resorts, and its a long one!:

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Ski/

Because Whistler is the biggest, you will find it has some of the best selection for apres ski and night life. I have skied (although not recently) at Apex, Silver Star and Big White, and they were good skiing and a lovely atmosphere, but not the same number of options off the hill.

I was also going to suggest you look at Mt. Washington, although I haven't skied it, but have heard really nice things about it.

You won't find the same ski chalet set up you find in Europe (I've skied Mayerhoffen). These communities are purpose built ski resorts. No one lived there before the ski hills came, so it changes how they feel and run.

Manning is good skiing, but the Lodge is a bit of a drive from the hill, and a bit quieter, with Manning Park Lodge as your only entertainment option. But if you are happy keeping your own company in one of the cabins, then it's fun.

I'd suggest you either go with Whistler, or go to the Thompson/Okanagan region.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

I'd recommend Whistler, it's a great destination and the value is there if you consider savings in gas and time.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

I am biased, but I think Whistler is a must do, if you can swing it, after comming so far. Scenic and short drive, lively multifacited activities on and off the slopes and the pre-Olympic experience.

After all, do you want to go back home and say...."Well, we went to the *second* best resort in BC?"

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

Hmmm trying to get a room in Whistler-Blackcomb only weeks before the Olympics might be tough...as teams, media, volunteers, etc might have already booked hotel rooms and the price would be considered during "peak" times.

Would agree to go east as the ski areas are large and often have much lighter snow. Silver star would offer u a "resort" feel to it.

Good luck and enjoy your time in BC.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice about skiing resorts?

Of course the olympics will have an impact on Whistler occupancy. You can make the same argument about Vancouver pre-games?

At the moment, very good prices are being advertised for January in Whistler.

whistlerblackcomb.com/deals_packages/…

Major games usually change the booking pattern at resorts. Just as many people stay away as decide to try it for the first time. There are challenges as well as opportunities, but Whistler's high ranking as a top resort, IMHO, if it's doable, makes it well worth considering.