We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A local needs help!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
A local needs help!

Ok, so I live in Vancouver, well- just outside vancouver... One of my girlfriends and I are trying to plan a fun night out. We've both been excluded from another friends wedding (no sweat, saves me from having to buy a gift!! Or thats what we keep telling ourselves LOL) Anyway, we're the only two out of pretty much everyone we know who has not been invited.. So we are trying to plan something super fun and memorable that just the two of us can do. She is on a slight budget so I am trying to plan this on the cheap. The only problem is that we've both done almost everything in Van, and its hard to find something that will be super fun for us to do. I've scoured the internet looking for interesting things to do but nothing really peaks my interest. Anyone have some ideas for something we might enjoy doing?

We're both not really clubbers, but we both enjoy food, jazz (or any kind of music) We both are somewhat old fashioned in the types of things we like to do- Piano bars, martini bars, high tea.. So definitely nothing club-ish. Oh, and we are both 22.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A local needs help!

I'd suggest you post on the Washington State or Seattle forum and see what they can offer you. Sometimes doing something in a different location can be fun.

Have you looked at Harbour Dinner Cruises?

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A local needs help!

victoria sounds perfect for you 2

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,759 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A local needs help!

What about the Chemainus dinner-theater?

-buffet dinner, theatre, hotel and deluxe breakfast.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A local needs help!

For an evening of not-too-expensive music in a nice atmosphere, try The Cellar jazz club on West Broadway near Alma. They have full dinners as well as just drinks, and classical nights on Tuesdays with low cover charge. You can check their website -- I think it's cellarjazz.com Some of their performers have included Dr. Lonnie Smith, Houston Person and some people quite famous in jazz circles but their names elude me now.

A bigger, glitzier version is Dimitrios Jazz Alley in Seattle: more famous performers and higher cover charge. Taj Mahal plays there every American Thanksgiving, for example. If you book for a meal, you'll get a better seat.

Don't know if you really want to go out of town or not, but it's a fun trip. Try to get across the border by noon, and you can either drive back the same night if you haven't been drinking (no border lineup at midnight!), or stay in a Seattle hotel and drive back the next day, shopping along the way.

It's kind of hard to suggest things if you've done almost everything in Vancouver!

vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A local needs help!

It would help to know what month (?) and actual budget.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A local needs help!

Thank you all for your help. We had arranged to stay at the Pan Pacific and go to a The Cellar Jazz for some live music and then Kobes for dinner. Unfortuantely I have had a family emergency and were unable to go. I just wanted to say thanks for the help, maybe next time!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A local needs help!

Sorry it didn't work out -- good luck next time.

8. Re: A local needs help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 05:16