We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Midlands, England
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Hi there,

Firstly, I did want to post this in BC forum but it wants me to pick a sub forum of BC so I've chose Vancouver, purely because we will start and end our journey here.

My girlfriend and I are planning our first trip to Canada next year September time.

It will be for a maximum of two weeks, maybe a little less depending on budget. We want a nice variety of places and we don't want TOO much driving involved, where possible, no one journey will take over 3 hours and we won't drive every day. Oh and of course we will be hiring a car.

With this in mind and after much research, this is my first draft for a possible itinerary.

Vancouver - 2 nights

Whistler - 2 nights

Kamloops - 1 night

Revelstoke - 2 nights

Kelowna - 2 nights

Osoyoos - 2 nights

Vancouver - 2 nights

I did want to include Banff/Jasper in this as well but it seems it would add a fair bit of drive time pulling us further east, when we need to head back west. I'm hoping that Revelstoke and the nearby parks are relatively comparable for their scenery to Banff and Jasper. Is this the case?

Anyway, your opinions and criticisms are welcome.

Thanks for your time

Greg

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

A better choice than Kamloops is somewhere on Shuswap lake. A better choice than 2 days in Revelstoke is Lake Louise. A good route to Osoyoos is by way of the Crows Nest (Cranbrook).

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Check out this handy page for starters. The Rockies including Jasper and Banff are very doable in two weeks. You would have a couple of days of driving, but the scenery is sublime.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Try and include some of the things you are actually planning to do (especially outside of Vancouver) and it makes commenting on your choice of towns a little easier.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Dermot, I also reported your inability to on the British Columbia Forum to TA. Sounds like a glitch. I let you know the outcome.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

If you can include Banff, then do so. Otherwise, I'd change the Revelstoke to Salmon Arm or add the time onto someplace on the return to Vancouver. Including Nelson area into your itinerary would be a second choice, but as others will say - see Banff.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,824 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Ah Dermot,

Your itinerary is a nice overview of some mountainous regions and the Okanagan wine growing region. You are going to have many people say, and I am one of them, stretch your budget and make sure you get to the Rockies for about 4 nights. You've come all this way, don't miss them.

I wouldn't stay in Kamloops when places like Salmon Arm and Sicamous (early Salmon spawning runs) are available.

As you say, your budget will decide. On the other hand, you will be spending 13 nights somewhere and the Rockies will get first dibs by most of us.

You might consider going on maps.google.ca and playing with different destinations on the "Get Directions" feature - add as many destinations as you wish, explore a circle tour if you wish.

Also have a look at hellobc.com. On this website there is a search bar to enter a city. You can explore the main page and then have a look on "things to do." Especially Salmon Arm and Sicamous.)

If you consider this itinerary, you would have one day of about 6.5 hr driving. You wouldn't need Whistler if you went to the Rockies.

2 nights Vancouver (5.5 hours drive to:)

2 nights Salmon Arm (4.5 hr drive to:)

4 nights Banff/Jasper (6 hr drive to:)

(allowing 1 full day to explore the Icefields Parkway)

3 nights Kelowna (4.5 hr drive to:)

2 nights Vancouver

Your proposed itinerary is very good (except for Kamloops) You might even consider switching the Kamloops night to Revelstoke as there is a huge Canadian Pacific Railway history over that way: The Railway Museum in Revelstoke, Craigellachie and the Spiral Tunnel as well as lots of scenic eye candy. You could also stay in either Kelowna or Osoyoos as they are so close together you might consider not moving hotels.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,039 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Dermot - I think you could accomplish all your objectives by doing this as a one-way trip. Banff is only two hours from Calgary. If you fly in to Vancouver and out of Calgary, then your options open up. Unless you are planning to return to Western Canada and do the Rockies on another trip, then you just CAN'T miss that area:

http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/drives

So two weeks going Vancouver-Hope-Osoyoos-Kelowna- Revelstoke-Banff-Calgary. That covers the same areas (could do Whistler as a day trip from Vancouver if you really need to see it, but it's just a nice ski resort) as your itinerary and ensures you see the Rockies. Yes, they really are different. You'll understand when you come through the Selkirk Range between Revelstoke and Golden and get your first glimpse of those peaks. They take your breath away.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,415 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

^ ^ ^ What Vancouverite said above. ^ ^ ^

Do not leave out the Rockies, In fact, leave them to last as the icing on the cake of your trip. Try to plan at least five days spread between Banff and Jasper.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,326 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

What Frommy said.....

Re; the inability to post on national or provincial forums. It has been the subject of discussion on many forums including the Support and HUMTAB Forum. I received an email form TA and it is indeed, a glitch. They are working on it, so don't give up.

Midlands, England
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Initial Itinerary plan for BC - what do you think

Thank you very much for all the replies. Yes, it seems that flying into Vancouver, out of Calgary really does solve the problem of distance and time. This will enable us to comfortably include Banff/Jasper into our trip without commiting to long driving periods.

Thanks also for the possible alternatives to the various stopoffs like Kamloops. I have much to look into now but feel a lot more confident that we can plan a trip that will fit into 2 weeks and include all that we want to see.

I will post back as the specific details are planned, in the appropriate forums of course ;-)

Thanks again