We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in B.C!

england
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Where to go in B.C!

Please can you me some advice ,me+ my son want to go to BC in Jan.We are flying into Vancouver and were thinking about travelling to a couple of different ski resorts any advice on where to go.I have been told Whistler can be very expensive.

My son is 19 and is a boarder and I am a very poor skier.

I was thinking about staying in B+B,s.

Any advice will be really appreciatend.

Many Thanks

Mick

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in B.C!

So, skiing exclusively? I'd suggest that you either go to the Rockies (which are in Alberta for the most part) and look at maybe something like Banff, Kicking Horse, Fernie, Kimberley area. Otherwise, the Okanagan has several good ski resorts in good proximity to one another - Big White, Silver Star, Apex, Sun Peaks. If you aren't much into downhill skiing, be sure to check out your other snow play options - snow shoeing and cross country (nordic) skiing, both great fun and hugely popular.

The other advantage of the Okanagan might be the wineries. I have no idea what their operations are like in the winter, but if they are doing tours, it might be a fun alternative to skiing one day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,342 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in B.C!

Oops, forgot to give you link:

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/Ski/

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in B.C!

Hi,

I would give Whistler the (very expensive) miss it deserves. Especially this coming winter with the Olympics coming up it will be even more busy and expensive than usual.

Your best choice is probably Mount Seymour, which is not a venue for the Olympics and gives you all the skiïng opportunities you want.

Grouse Mountain is another good possibility. Both are within a 30 minutes drive from downtown Vancouver.

www.grousemountain.com

www.mountseymour.com

You can download coupons for several Vancouver attractions at:

www.vancouverattractions.com

england
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in B.C!

Thanks for your info will check it out

Mick

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go in B.C!

Whistler is consistently rated one of the top ski resort in North America. While it can be pricey, it also offers excellent value to skiers. It's easy to get to from Vancouver and you'll be seeing it groomed at it's Olympic best.

Pre-Olympic prices are not inflated, on the contrary, there are a number of specials being offered, contrary to the conventional wisdom. Check here to see if there is something that works for you.

whistlerblackcomb.com/deals_packages/ebd/ebd…

Happy planning.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go in B.C!

I read an article today where Sun Peaks is trying to attract more visitors with an "all-inclusive" package. It includes accomodation, lift tickets and a voucher for certain restaurants. I think it was a three day stay.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,728 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go in B.C!

This is available in Whistler as well........

www.whistler.com/winter_packages/regular4/

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go in B.C!

Another option would be Mt. Washington near Courtenay on Vancouver Island. Good hill, decent amount of lifts and variety of runs. Check first on snow conditions though. Several Olympic teams have picked the hill to prepare for the 2010 Games.

Having grown up in the Okanagan, I would second the hills there. Try all three in the Interior.

Enjoy your visit to British Columbia!

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go in B.C!

www.skikimberley.com

www.skifernie.com

www.skircr.com

Fly into Canadain Rockies International Airport and drive to "Resorts of the Canadian Rockies" locations.

Kimberley should be "inexpensive" compared to larger "busy" resorts.

sunpeaksresort.com - not too many logistical challenges getting to/from this family oriented resort, either?

If you are looking for nightlife - goto Whistler.

Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
290 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go in B.C!

http://www.skimorecard.com/

Mic

FYI - Fernie and Kimberley are less than 90 minutes apart; Kimberley in "Purcell" - Fernie in "Canadian Rockies" Mountain ranges.

Card limited to mountains outlined and affords economies of scale; give you more bucks to spend elsewhere?