We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Whistler in a day

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver to Whistler in a day

My husband and I will have 3 days to spend in Vancouver in early June 2010, I figured we would spend 2 full days exploring Vancouver and then maybe a day trip up to Whistler. Any suggestions on the best mode of transport as we don't want to hire a car. I was thinking morning train up and late bus back, does this sound feasible? I'm only assuming this is an option, as we want to maximise most of our day exploring Whistler. What time does it get dark over there in June?

Oh by the way we then go over to Victoria for a few days also. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

Train up and bus back is a great idea. You would have wonderful scenery from the train and the bus has some departure choices for when you come back.

The only other choice, if you didn't want a rental car, is to fly on a seaplane.

The sun sets at about 9:15 pm in early June with another half hour before full dark. If it's overcast or raining, it would seem darker earlier.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums!

A day trip to Whistler is very doable. There are pluses and minuses with each approach

The Whistler Mountaineer is a wonderful scenic trip and it proves the truism that it's the journey, not the destination that counts. The 2010 schedule is not available yet, but the 2009 one here will give you a pretty good idea of what's involved. The drawbacks are that some find it pricey and that it leaves you only a short time to explore Whistler.

whistlermountaineer.com/plan_your_journey/sc…

The Pacific Coach Lines and Greyhound both have buses that will take you back and forth for a reasonable cost and with very early and late departures. That would allow you to maximize your time there. You might also look at Pacific Coach as a transportation option to Victoria. It's especially good if you're going to Whistler directly from the airport . Advance bookings on Greyhound are particularly inexpensive.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

http://www.greyhound.ca/home/

Deciding which way to go depends on your interests and how you want to spend you' day? Are you happy with scenic views a nice lunch and walk around town? Or are you hoping to do the Peak to Peak Gondola, hike a bit, or do the zipline or golf?

If you have the interest you can also take a float plane. You might mix and match and take the train up and come back late in the evening on the bus. There are organized day tours available as well. I haven't done any, but LandSea tours has been recommended here by some.

Whistler is a pedestrian village and you won't need a car there, but of course the advantage of a car is being able to stop along the way and come and go as you wish.

Happy planning.

Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

I highly suggest driving to Whistler - it is the most economical way to get there and you are able to work on your own schedule. It only takes about 2 hours to drive there and the scenic ride there is unbelievable - you can also stop at a few spots on the way there or back.

Here is some info on Whistler in Summer: http://bit.ly/4g2lrT

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

I have taken a bus to whistler before and I prefer driving if you can do it. You check to see the price difference and you might find there is not much of one.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

Two hours Vanc to Whistler? Nope. It's a 90 minute drive and as neat as the train ride is, I'd rent a car and enjoy the freedom of no schedule. Dawn by 5:00 am and dusk after 9:00pm permits a full day and there's lots to fill a full day at Whistler.

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

Thankyou for your imput, I was given advice before that if we are doing a tour of the Rockies including Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, that we shouldn't bother with a day trip to Whistler as we would find similiar terrain and could skip going. Do you agree? We do have only 3 days in Vancouver before we go over to Victoria.

Thanks

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

Yes after the grandeur and majesty of the Rockies Whistler will seem underwhelming-don't bother.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

I have often thought that the trip to Whistler is an ideal introduction to British Columbia for people who do not have the opportunity to go further afield. The drive, itself, is part of the attraction because, not only do you have the mountains, you also experience something of coastal BC as you travel along Howe Sound. Particularly on the way back, the views are quite specular. Depending on what interests you, Whistler Village can be fun, e.g., the "peak to peak" gondola ride.

You, however, will see the mountain scenery at Jasper, Banff, etc. You will experience coastal BC during your ferry ride to Vancouver Island through the Gulf Islands (one of the loveliest anywhere).

If it were me, given the additional information you have provided, I would focus on Vancouver for three days. If you have a look at some of the lists of "things to do" provided in other threads, you will see that there is really quite a lot to keep you busy, depending on your interests.

Alton
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

Reply to Vancouver to Whistler in a Day

If you decide to drive to Whistler, which I would do, if time permits stop at Shannon Falls Provincial Park, and take the short walk to Shannon Falls, it's a beautiful spot. It is near the town of Squamish on the way to Whistler

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,871 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver to Whistler in a day

I see the Whistler area as a destination unto itself. Maybe the mountainscapes are not quite the Rockies or some of the Alps but the combination of the walk-about village, outdoor activities, fun night-life, good restaurants, good accommodation etc make it a world class destination for all seasons. The short drive up is prettier than most of the long drive east to the Rockies. I wouldn't want to have been that close and miss it.