We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver 22 May 2010. Is this a national holiday weekend?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver 22 May 2010. Is this a national holiday weekend?

I am arriving in Vancouver early on Saturday 22 May 2010. I recall that I read somewhere that this is a holiday weekend. If so, are the major shopping centres open? I have accomodation booked, but until the room is ready, and I can crash, I was considering looking around Vancouver.

If it is a holiday weekend please tell me what it is about so I can be respectful.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver 22 May 2010. Is this a national holiday weekend?

No, but Monday May 24 is.

…about.com/od/…victoria_day.htm

(Hint - Google Public Holidays Vancouver, or British Columbia, or Canada)

Edited: 15 January 2010, 11:17
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,151 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver 22 May 2010. Is this a national holiday weekend?

Hi Ann,

The Monday 24th is our Victoria Day, in honour of Queen Victoria (the same lady whose name comprises your state!) It is what we call a bank holiday, with banks, gov't offices, schools being closed for the day. It is one of our busiest long weekends on the ferries and roads because it's the first opportunity for people to get away, in anticipated good weather, after our cold wet winter. Commerce will continue as usual, so simply enjoy the weekend

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver 22 May 2010. Is this a national holiday weekend?

It is the first big holiday weekend that Canadians officially kick off the summer season with. It is a great weekend in Vancouver with only Monday being the actual holiday. Everything will be open, except as mentioned above.

have fun!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver 22 May 2010. Is this a national holiday weekend?

Thank you folk. .

"It is the first big holiday weekend that Canadians officially kick off the summer season with."

It looks like I have chosen, by chance, a good time to start my Canadian Experience. Cannot wait !!!

5. Re: Vancouver 22 May 2010. Is this a national holiday weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 06:17