We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit?

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to visit?

Hello,

My BF and I are just in the beginning stages of setting up a trip for Vancouver. We have never been. We would like to know when is the best time to visit? We plan on being in Vancouver for 7 days.

We love the cold (actually I love the cold & snow, he likes it cool...) and snow is OK as long as we're not snowed in...hopefully a time when its not raining, I prefer snow to rain. Sun would be great but we are from TX we don't want 80F+ degree weather. We want to be able to walk around, hike or take a taxi when absolutely necessary due to the cold, enjoying the sites outside, without freezing or sweating like crazy.

Would July or August be best ? Or September, October? When is there more things to see and do outside?

Oh also, is there a train that we can take from Vancouver to Banff Springs? Or would we need to rent a car for that trip?

Thank you so much for any help!

-Sonia

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,821 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit?

Crowds are thinned out after Labour Day and the weather, although cooler than August, is usually a pleasant 65-70F/20C cooling at night.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit?

FYI, it doesn't snow in Vancouver... Maybe for a week in December/January. I would avoid October as it will rain everyday, but you won't see snow in any of those months. You should go in April and visit Whistler to see the snow.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit?

July, August, and September are absolutely gorgeous months and I'd highly recommend visiting then. You won't see snow, but definitely the best time of the year to be here.

I disagree that it rains every day in October - October is usually a lovely time of the year, often with cool crisp but sunny days. November, December, and January are the darkest, rainiest months. The sun sets early in the late afternoon and rises between 7am-8am in the winter. Contrast that to June, July, August when it sets around 9pm and rises at 5am! So not only is the weather the best in the summer, but you get the most daylight hours to explore and experience the outdoors.

Also, our summers rarely get over 80 F and there is no humidity like you'd get in Dallas. Summers are really a perfect time to visit. I'd recommend August/September for reliable weather.

April and May are beautiful as well,but they can be a hit or miss. Lovely, lush spring flowers are everywhere, but it can also be quite wet and rainy then.

Edited: 23 January 2010, 17:43
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit?

And as mentioned, Vancouver doesn't really get snow. It gets as much as Seattle does, which is to say, maybe a day or two or a week, but that's it. Nobody knows how to drive in the snow here. The city isn't prepared to handle much snow, so if it does snow in the actual city, it usually turns the city into a bit of chaos. The snow does exist on the local mountains, so if you do visit in the winter, you'll have to head to higher elevations for your fix of snow. Otherwise Vancouver is located in a temperate rainforest zone and we get the most rain between November and January. But it's not Texas style monsoon rain (at least not usually!) so even if you do in the end visit here during a period where we get more rain, don't be too concerned.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit?

If you want to miss the crowds, September. We usually have fairly warm and sunny weather that month. The PNE is over, so the rain usually disappears for a few weeks. Also not as many tourists around which makes it nicer for sightseeing.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit?

ahh I didn't know that it didn't snow in Vancouver, learned something new! Sounds like if we visit in September we will still get the cool weather and it will be even more beautiful in that month!

Thank you all so much for all the information!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,821 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit?

It's January 27, sunny and should hit around 50F today...the Olympic folks are using hay bales then covering them with snow delivered from mountain tops by helicopter. Enjoy your September visit!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,676 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit?

I saw someone walking to the bus stop in shorts this morning. Another STUNNING day in this world class city!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit?

September hands down.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit?

Wow even January sounds like a great time to visit, but I'm late on that!

Thank you so much, I know we will have a wonderful time in September!

I'm so excited! I've only seen pictures and can't wait to see it with my own eyes!

Thank you for all information!