We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money question

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
341 reviews
Save Topic
Money question

Are there are ATM's located at the ships' docks so that I can have some local money to pay the cab driver? I'm assuming they won't want American dollars.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,537 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money question

You will get twenties out of an ATM machine. And being the suspicious ATM person that I am, I would say that ATMs in a tourist area like that will charge usage fees that you might not get away from the ships' berths. If you have time, I would suggest you go into your bank at home and arrange for some Cdn small money. It might take them a couple of days to fill your request. You could request toonies and loonies. I know they won't deal in coins smaller than a dollar, but not sure about ones and twos.

If you only need Cdn change for one taxi, then use American bills. They will be accepted. (with a smile if there are enough of them!!) Just kidding.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money question

MuftiMixandmatch - Sorry, your response is very confusing. Will a taxi accept U.S. dollars or not?

I have a bank that refunds all ATM fees so we can use any ATM, even if they charge high fees. Getting foreign currency at a home bank is highway robbery. Their exchange rates are horrible.

Does anyone know if it is easy to find an ATM at the cruise dock? I am also disembarking a cruise here and would rather use an ATM than get currency in the U.S.

I am taking a city tour in Vancouver & I'll only be there for a few hours but I'm assuming that U.S. dollars is not widely accepted and I will need to get Canadian dollars for souveniors? The tour goes to Chinatown, Gastown, and Stanley Park.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Gastown
Gastown
4,740 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Stanley Park
Stanley Park
23,576 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money question

Right at the docks? I doubt it. Taxi will take a credit card. The driver will take USD if that's all you have and apply an unfavourable (to you) exchange rate. He then will have to take time from driving to exchage the USD to one he can use. An alternative is to simply have the taxi do a quick stop en route. There are ATM's everywhere.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money question

Thanks, AlegreVancouverBC!!! Credit card seems like the easiest way to go.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money question

Yeah I always pay by credit card. Just let them know as you are on route so they can get their machine ready.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,537 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money question

Sorry aznaphrodite, to answer your question directly, yes they will accept US money. Others have continued with the caveats.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money question

I work alot in Canada and most places will take USD pretty easily. With the exchange rate being pretty much at par when I charge I actually end up paying more since Visa takes 1% and my bank charges a 3% foreign transaction fee. I know we are talking about a small amt of money but I'd just use your USD especially with tours and cabs. My bank in Alberta has a USD cash machine. Many people in tourism have a us dollar acct in a canadian bank so its not a big issue.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money question

Just to be clear... and this isn't posted to anyone in particular, but just as a statement to clear up any misconceptions... and because there are sooo many Travellers from around the world who will perhaps read this Topic, and they may travelling to a lot more places in Canada than Southern BC.

The closer one is to the border and the more back and forth (or as we say "invisible" the Border between Canada and the USA is) then the more "acceptable" American Currency is. Although Travellers should note there is NO LAW on how much a Merchant should charge when it comes to Exchange... so using US Cash has its risks... typically they will smile as they gouge you 10 to 25 % ABOVE Fair Exchange.

Cities where US money appears to be most readily accepted (due to all the back & forth across the border) are Vancouver, BC and Niagra Falls, ON.

BUT, the further inland from the Border the least likely that US Dollars will be welcome (they may be "accepted"... but there is certainly a feeling that they are not particularly "welcome").

This topic has been discussed a length in many of the Canadian TRAVEL FORUMS for various cities... and time and time again the feeling is:

Canada is an Independent Country... and a first world country. And as such has a very valued and stable currency... the Canadian Dollar. It is somewhat disrespectful to assume one does not need to use our Currency. And never is it acceptable to make jokes about us having "funny money" or that one would like their change in "real money" etc.

Canadians travel to the USA every day, and we never would expect to have our money accepted as the norm in the middle of America... so why then do Americans naturally assume that "their Money" is good everywhere here?

Be a considerate tourist... use Canadian money... or your Debit Card or Credit Card, it really isn't that difficult (especially when you put plastic into an ATM Machine and out comes Canadian money). It is the respectful thing to do.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
United States
United States
North America
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,911 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money question

I'd add that its very ueseful to go to a site such as

oanda.com

and print out their traveler cheat sheet. It shows the bank rate of exchange so you know if your getting gouged.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,230 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money question

David, bottom line is someone would have to exchange that USD and a cabbie (or waiter) likely doesn't have a USD account. He simply gets to spend his day off going to a bank and taking the loss between the buy and sell rate and win or lose on a daily exchange fluctuation which can be 1% or more. No one gets the bank rate listed on exchange sites so what someone calls gouging is called hedging by someone else.