We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

Lebanon, NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

Having stayed here for a few days it's time to let this one out, especially since, according to the waitstaff, things are hurrting a bit on this side of Burrard Inlet. If you crave the full Olympic experience by all means wander Robson Square, Gas Town & Yaletown. However if you need a a little down time and a meal where you can actually have a conversation without a wait give North Vancouver a try. It's a free Seabus ride away if you have an event ticket and it only takes 12 minutes from Waterfront Station. Hop off the Seabus, skip the mall if allowed, and wander for a few blocks, you'll be pleasently surprised.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

North Van is a great place-someone on the Wikitravel page did a serious detailed writeup of what's on offer there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
335 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

Yes, there are a lots of neighbourhoods that would be less busy but also interesting.

Closer to town, English Bay would be an option or you could take the Aqua bus across the inlet to Granville Island.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

I used to work in North Vancouver, and I agree it is a hidden gem. I used to enjoy spending a little time wandering around Esplanade Street, then up Lonsdale (it's a steeeep hill) Avenue (maybe no further than 3rd Street but be sure to go back down to the waterfront that way), there are a number of interesting shops to see and places to eat. And then there's Lonsdale Quay - it's a public market with fresh food and shops upstairs. Kids will enjoy the ball pit (I think it's still there) and the toy shop next door.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

Yes to what everyone said about North Vancouver. IAs well, the view of the Vancouver skyline looking back across Burrard Inlet is quite amazing.

Edited: 20 February 2010, 23:44
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
208 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

I agree . . . lots of great shops and restaurants up and down Lonsdale. Also, from the Quay you could take the bus to Lynn Valley Square or Park Royal, both of which have large screen TVs to watch live Olympic coverage . . . you can poke around the stores & restaurants at these two locations as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

Lonsdale Quay is also hosting a Winterfest in honour of the Olympics at the moment too. You might want to check that out as well. There all sorts of nice restaurants in the area as well as several unique shops that you will not find on the other side of the inlet.

7. Re: North Vancouver - Hidden Gem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2010, 05:19