We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Granville Street

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
679 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Granville Street

We are hiring a car after our stay in Vancouver & driving up to whistler, we were thinking of collecting it from there office in Granville Street but wondered is it then going to be tricky navigating our way out of Vancouver city centre?

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Granville Street

absolutely no problem. who are you renting with/where would you pick up the vehicle? A good chunk of Granville right downtown is pedestrian mall; also there are one-way streets all around, but it's quite easy to navigate. The trick is to get yourself onto Georgia Street heading west (if you are facing the mountains - which are ever harder to see thanks to the d**n highrises that keep on being built - the west is on your left). Georgia becomes the causeway through Stanley Park & then Lions Gate Bridge - just follow the signs to the Highway to Horseshoe Bay & Whistler. If you could give specifics about where you are picking up the car I could be more specific about where you drive, exactly.

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Granville Street

Sorry for not saying i am looking at Hertz

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Granville Street

Is it the Hertz office at 1270 Granville Street that you are looking at?

If so, here is a link to Mapquest showing where it is located -

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Vancouver&state=BC&address=1270+Granville+Street&zipcode=V6Z&country=CA&latitude=49.276437&longitude=-123.127341&geocode=ADDRESS

Both Hornby and Seymour are one-way streets heading north towards Georgia Street. You can make left turns onto Georgia from both in order to head west and then follow EastBC's instructions. The Hertz Office would be able to guide you to either street.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Granville Street

Sorry, I guess that the link is too long coming through. Just go to

www.mapquest.ca

and plug in the address.

Edited: 23 February 2010, 18:00
Rockies BC
Level Contributor
849 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Granville Street

I see that Hertz is at the 1200 block Granville, which is south of the pedestrian zone.

Take a look at the google map & satellite. It's not clear to me how, exactly, you will exit Hertz with your car, the theory is that you will be on Granville Street, or maybe the back alley immediately behind the building (which runs parallel to Granville).

I am sure the staff at Hertz could advise you best, but you might want to think about driving north on Granville for about 1 block to Davie, turn right, and drive 1 block to Seymour (which is 1 way northbound). Drive north on Seymour for several blocks - if you time it right you get a string of green lights - and turn left onto Georgia. Then just keep driving along Georgia until it turns into Stanley Park, drive through the park & over the Lions Gate Bridge & follow the signs for Whistler. It means driving straight ahead off the bridge to West Vancouver (do not go right to North VAncouver), do a cloverleaf-loop under the bridge & you will be heading straight west. The first (and big) intersection is Taylor Way, turn right & go up hill until you get to the highway. Then turn left at the lights to the approach to the highway & you will be on your way to WHistler. Just follow the signs - there seems to be enough of them to make things clear.

Hope that helps......

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Granville Street

Are you driving after the Olympics are over? As I understand it, there are restrictions on driving to Whistler during the Olympics.

http://www.vancouver2010.com/transportation/

I'd suggest you look at the Olympic site for more information.

Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Granville Street

Thanks for your replies, yes its 1270 Granville Street Hertz Office. I will take a look at those maps. We wont be in Vancouver till Early May so will miss the olympic restrictions..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,083 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Granville Street

The Hertz office is located on Granville between Drake and Davie, literally the first block of Granville Street downtown off the Granville Street Bridge. It's super easy to get to and easy to navigate out of Vancouver with the car.

Once you have the car, take Seymour Street (one block over) northbound to Georgia Street. Take a left on Georgia and follow Georgia out of the city, through Stanley Park and over the Lion's Gate Bridge. Signs will point you the rest of the way to Whistler.

Edited: 24 February 2010, 17:22
Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Granville Street

Brilliant, well ive booked it now but from all your replies ive got plenty off confidence we'll navigate easy enough out of vancouver. Thanks once again

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Granville Street

A bit off topic but just wanted to say just browsed the headers to your past postings... WOW you are well travelled! Enjoy your trip to Vancouver/Whistler. The drive to whistler is still beautiful to me even though I have done it hundreds of times.