We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
213 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

Hi All,

I have purchased one-way airplane tickets from NY to Seattle for a 10-day trip in August. My plan has been to travel up through the Olympic Peninsula and make our way to Vancouver where we would spend our last weekend and fly home.

But the flights from Vancouver to NYC are super-pricey -- about $388 apiece for one-way. That is about double the cost of flights from Seattle to NY ($190 each).

Does it make any sense to drive or take Amtrak back to Seattle the night before we leave to take advantage of the lower fares? I checked the Amtrak schedule and the Cascade train takes 4 1/2 hours and leaves Vancouver at either 6:40 am for 5:45 pm.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

you will find your choices easily listed on the seattle forum. Yes it makes sense to fly from Seattle but it depends on how many people and if staying in a hotel or paying for cabs etc would still be cheaper than flying out of YVR. Here is a link

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60878-i74-Seattle…

please look on the far right for FAQ's

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
213 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

Thanks davidgmg -- that FAQ is tailor-made to my question. I spend quite a bit of time digging around tripadvisor. Despite that, I don't always turn up all the useful faqs that are a click or two further down.

And then there are the particulars. Getting back to Seattle would mean giving up our last day in Vancouver. Plus we'd be taking a lengthy train ride the night before another long day of traveling by air. Guess I'd best watch the fares for a bit before deciding ...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c4500/Seattle:…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

There is also a bus you could take from Vancouver to the airport in Seattle. You will not get good prices at YVR as the landing fees charged are much higher than what SEA-TAC charges, hence another increase in taxes you have to pay.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,920 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

The amtrak right now is twice a day but it may revert to once a day after March. The evening train ( leaving about 5 or 5:30) is a scenic ride with a good part of it along the water. You wouldn't miss that much of your day in Vancouver. The hotel cost isn't really a factor as you'd have a hotel charge in Vancouver....

It's highly unlikely you'll find a flight out of Vancouver for anything near the Seattle cost...for the 3 years our daughter was at school in Virginia she always flew into Seattle and we drove down to pick her up...cost was always a minimum of $300 less to fly into Seattle....amtrak is a real bargain and Seattle is a nice city to end your trip ..some excellent restaurants there.

The bus takes about the same time as the train and can get held up at customs..

I'd plan on taking amtrak the evening before and flying out of Seattle.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

suggest you check with

alaskaair.com

for some web specials as an option.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
306 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

You need to check all your costs – including cabs, etc. – carefully, but there's no doubt long-distance fares from SEA are almost always cheaper than from YVR. Suggest you take the evening train and avoid potential long holdup at the border.

This may mean canceling your one-way to SEA and replacing it with a return ticket, so you need to figure that cost too.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bump this topic up. I'm just posting this test message to assist a TripAdvisor member with some technical difficulties. Please disregard this message.

Thanks,

Dan

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

This idea may be a bit clunky. If your flight into Seattle is early enough, why not bus or train it up to Vancouver your first day, then work your way down to Seattle for the rest of your trip?

9. Re: Return to NYC from Vancouver vs Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2010, 06:20