We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

Irving, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

Hi All! My wife and I will be travelling to Vancouver in June. WE'll be there June 16-19 before heading down to Seattle for the U2 concert! We'll be staying downtown. I have been to Vancouver quite a few times on business. For this trip my wife has never been and we would like to do some white water rafting and hiking. Coming from Chicago we need some nature in our lives! Let me know the best bets for these activities. We'll have a rental car. Closer to the city, the better. Another option is for us to go up and stay in Whistler for the 3 days. Which would be better?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

The closest (real) rafting to the city is on the Chilliwack River, the Squamish River is a gentle ride, scenic enough, but no white water.

ChilliwackRiverRafting.com site is down but Hyak is a long established company that also does the Chilliwack-which is about an hour out of Vancouver.

http://www.hyak.com/rivers/chilliwack.html

So many options for hiking nearby

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/

Consider sea kayaking locally

http://bowenislandkayaking.com/

http://ecomarine.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

Given the shortness of your stay, I agree that kayaking might be the better option. A day trip to Bowen Island might suit you nicely.

bcferries.com/schedules/…biva-current.html

hellobc.com/en-CA/…BowenIsland.htm

hellobc.com/en-CA/…Bowen-Island.htm

metrovancouver.org/services/…Crippen.aspx

http://www.bowenislandkayaking.com/

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

Another option is to rent a canoe/kayak from Deep Cove.

http://www.deepcovekayak.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
578 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

The quality of white rafting this year I think will depend on how much snow we get this month. Now that the Olympics are over, it is now snowing.

Irving, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

Thanks for all the replies. Just a side note, we have never white water rafted before so this will be our first time. We are both 32 and in good shape so we are up for the challenge. We'd like a bit of a rush by going down the rivers, not really looking for a lazy day on the canoe. We'll obviously sign up for the beginner route on a white water trip and it looks like there are several options for a day trip. Can't wait to get up to BC in a few months!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

Alright... my suggestions... If you choose to accept them!

Day 1: If you drive about 2.5 hours (really not that bad at all!) You will get to this Rafting location: www.reorafting.com

You will not regret doing this! I only went once and it was soooo fun! Great day trip. You may even want to just spend this first night in Whistler, then drive up to go on an early excursion, then in the afternoon drive the 2.5 hours back to Vancouver to spend day 2 and 3? (also a suggestion, Whistler has an awesome zipline which is another great outdoor, thrilling thing to do!)

Day 2: Vancouver... if you are up for it try to Grouse Grind! www.grousemountain.com It's like 2km of stairs and is very intense but you feel SO GOOD afterwards and get the BEST view of all of Vancouver. There is a restaurant up there too! Then you can always drive down the mountain afterwards and go to the Capilano Suspension Bridge (so pretty!) (they actually also have ziplining too so you could do that here instead of Whistler)

Day 3: You will be tired... I would be! Take it easy with a slow hike around Stanley Park, maybe go to the aquarium, take in the scenes and then grab some lunch downtown. For your last night I would check out some of the gorgeous restaurants in Gastown or Yaletown. There are some great ones check out www.vancouverisawesome.com for some restaurant tips.

If you still need accommodations there is a $20 coupon for Vancouver hotels here: mayfairhotelsandresorts.com/hotel-promotion.…

I hope that helps!! Definitely make the drive to do the rafting it really isn't much of a drive and you will remember it forever!

HAVE FUN!

(PS. don't spend all 3 days in Whistler, it's just not that fun in the summer more in Vancouver!)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

PS. When I said they have ziplining too, I meant Grouse Mountain... not the suspension bridge FYI!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

Ok, if you are determined to go rafting, then I second the vote for Reo Rafting. They are a bit further than the outfit based in Yale, but they do the same river. The big difference is that Reo is a camp "resort" right on the river, so the bus ride to the start of the rafting trip is shorter and the lunch on the deck afterwards is FANTASTIC. Great view, great setting. The real BC. I'm booked to go back for the ladies weekend in June!!

For hikes, some people love the Grouse Grind, others hate it. It's a brutal climb and can get very busy. It depends what you are after. IMO, there are better places to experience nature, and get great views.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

If you are 32 and in reasonably good shape I wouldn't recommend signing up for a beginners route - if you are looking for true white water rafting avoid anything labelled beginners and/or family friendly.

For example, the Reo Rafting Company offers 3 types of day trips: beginner, intermediate, and expert. You can should confirm with the tour operators but I would think you would feel more than comfortable with an intermediate level of trip. The beginner trips are often just a cruise down a river . Class 3 and 4 rapids are needed to have that whitewater experience.

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver Area Rafting/Hiking

"Class 3 and 4 rapids are needed to have that whitewater experience."

Yes very much agree-and the Nahatlatch is one fast river.

Lotsa Bears 'n the hood too!