We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking by science world

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooks,AB
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Parking by science world

We are thinking about taking an aquabus from Science World to Granville Island but we're not sure if there is parking there. I was on google maps and saw that there is a Mcdonalds right across the street. Any advice about parking there? Would it even be allowed or do they monitor their parking lot?

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking by science world

What date?

Right now it's all tied up with the Paralympics/leftover arrangements from the Winter Olympics and it'll be a while until everything is back to normal.

Brooks,AB
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking by science world

We will be in Vancouver April 6 to 9. Also, if you pay to park in Stanley Park, say at the aquarium, can you then drive to other lots in the park on the same day and park without paying again? It seems like parking fees can really add up after a few days!

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking by science world

Where are you staying in Vancouver? Many of these places are easily accessible by transit. You might better to park and take transit into the city and/or around the city.

Brooks,AB
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking by science world

We are staying in the Mt Pleasant area, however there are five of us so it seems like when you add up all the bus fares it is no cheaper than paying for parking!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking by science world

The Stanley Park question is yes if within the time limit of the ticket...varies by price.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking by science world

1. There is a large pay parking lot just north of Science world on the same side of the street, just underneath the Skytrain guideway. I recall that it isn't a particularly expensive lot.

2. I just came back from a day downtown and that area is all cleared up of Olympic and Paralympic obstructions from what I could see.

3. Once you have paid for parking in Stanley Park, it is good for all parking spaces in the park, so it makes sense to pay for a full day and then just move your car around as needed.

4. Parking is intentionally expensive - they want you to use transit. Go to a corner store or Safeway and pick up either a book of Faresaver tickets or the one day transit passes. With five of you, the Faresaver tickets will get good use. If you are moving around a lot during the day, then the one-day fare for $9/$7 is a good deal. I really like not having to worry about getting back to my car, but just getting on transit to head home from whatever point I end up at.

bc_canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking by science world

A comment...

.... I would be leery of parking at the ImPark lot near Science World..The DowntownEastside is very close to Science World, Chinatown, David Lam Park.. There are alot of shady characters in the area...(addicts looking for easy cash/trade for drugs).. don't leave any valuables in plain sight if you park your car around this area.. especially late at night.. There are frequent car break-ins in this area, and around GM Place.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking by science world

You could park on Terminal a couple of blocks east of Main St and Science World. But you'd have to get your car off the eastbound street by 3 pm for rush hour. I'm not sure if the westbound side of Terminal is no parking in the morning rush - to 9 or 9:30 a.m. Either way, you would have an option there.

I too recommend you look at transit options. A Vancouver zone cash fare is $2.50 but a faresave ticket is $1.90. Tix are good for 90 minutes. And as V67 mentions, a day pass will get you around until midnight. BTW, Stanley Park day rate is $10.00 all in and that might be a good day to take your car. There's traffic congestion, lot full signs, and the steep price of parking to consider.

An idea to consider would be to leave your (empty) glove box open when parked as well. You will have AB plates and there are people who troll parking lots looking for quarters, sun glasses, anything left on the console or seats. By leaving your glove box open, you are sending a message that you know about breakins and you have nothing of interest to a smash and grab person. They will quickly move on to an easier opportunity.

Edited: 19 March 2010, 04:54
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking by science world

Oh, and one other tip. Put whatever you are going to leave in the trunk there before you park. Then when you park your car, you can just walk away. Those who watch cars in parking lots will notice you just walking away and not bother your car.

Edited: 19 March 2010, 04:58
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking by science world

This issue with parking around science world is that most of the free spots are taken up by commuters during the week. If you go on the weekend you might have a better shot. Also you could consider doing the opposite and parking on granville island and taking the sea bus the other way. There is both timed (free) and pay parking there. Traffic can be busy on weekends though. I have parked for free in areas around granville island before you cross the bridge as well.

It would certainly be easier to get to stanley park in a car and the drive around the park is great. I just did it yesterday actually, first time seeing the convention centre with its grass roof from the park. Pretty neat.