We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Robson to Whistler

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
305 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Robson to Whistler

We are thinking of driving from near Mount Robson to Whistler in a day in August, is this feasible or am I mad bearing in mind we will have 3 kids with us(14, 12 & 10) should we maybe stopover at somewhere like Kamloops?. Would 10 hours be an accurate estimate with a couple of 1 hour stops?

Another thought was to drive from Mount Robson to Hope for a stopover then the following day visit Othello tunnels, Hells Gate Airtram then continue to Whistler along Highway 1 & 99. How long should I allow for the tunnels and the airtram?

Thanks for any advice

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

Yes, I think it would be about 10 hours with some stops. I think your alternative is also alot of driving and you are going out of your way to see the airtram and the tunnels. I would suggest the first route you have planned - add in Wells Gray Provincial Provincial Park (it is breathtaking - more so then Hells Gate and the tunnels) and an overnight stay at a midpoint (Kamloops has a wide variety of accomodations available). This route also allows you take in the scenic drive from Lilliooet to Whistler (Hwy 99 :Duffey Lake Road) and gives you some time to enjoy the scenic stops along this route.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,684 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

Keep in mind that this isn't mindless highway driving, this is, for the most part, stunning scenery, winding highway and tonnes of historical and scenic points of interest along the way. You also need to keep in mind that much of our northern roads are two lane winding mountain highway. You get stuck behind large transport trucks and RVs and have to wait for an opportunity to pass. This is not easy driving and requires concentration and effort. While it would certainly be doable, isn't this a vacation?? Book an overnight enroute.

I'd be inclined to send you to Whistler via the northern route. Hell's Gate and the Othello Tunnels are both very worthwhile, but I'm not sure they are worth going out of your way for.

I will however suggest that, rather than going to Kamloops, you leave Highway 5 at Little Fort and cross over to Highway 97 at Lone Butte and head south through Clinton. I like Clinton. It's very small, has a magnificent local museum, some cheesy western architecture and a fantastic pottery shop. I've never stayed there though, so can't comment on the accommodations. Probably pretty basic, I expect. Rather Clinton than Cache Creek though. Kamloops is a much bigger centre if you prefer to have your amenities and higher end accommodations.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

Vancouverite67 has given you a good route. We drive this often. The actual drive tie from Mt Robson to Whistler is about 7.5 hours so is doable but you'd enjoy the trip much more if you stopped. Clinton is an excellent stopping point. We've stayed there more than once and there is a good motel there on the right as you drive through town will come back with the name as I've a memory lapse happening! There's also a nice small museum there and a good ice cream stop. Before you get to Clinton you'll pass Chasm Provincial park..not spectacular but worth the brief detour and interesting if you like geology.

I much prefer this route to going over to Kamloops. The hwy 24 route from Little Fork to 93 Mile House is a nice gently curving road with stops at small lakes. Also the Duffy Lake Road ( hwy 99 Lillooet to Whistler), while narrow and winding has many spots to pull off and enjoy the scenery.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

Many thanks for all the advice and convincing me what I always thought was the sane option. We will take the hwy 24 route and look to stopover around Clinton. Would I have time for a brief visit to Wells Gray Provincial Park on the way and what would be a recommended detour if I did?

Thanks again

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

Absolutely you should visit Helmcken Falls. It is about 40+ kilometers off hwy 5. The road in is marked on the hwy..and is around Clearwater. The link below has maps etc. If you're planning on stopping over in Clinton you'll have lots of time to visit Wells Grey. I'd make a reservation in Clinton so you don't have to rush. In August you'll have lots of daylight as well ( light till at least 9 pm)

The Caribou Lodge is where we usually stay. Although it's billed as a resort it's basically a comfortable motel type place right on the main street in Clinton.

www.bcadventure.com/cariboolodge/index.html

Here is the link to Wells Grey.

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/wells_gry/

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

The turnoff to Wells Gray is marked from the highway. There is a large information centre located at the turnoff - a great place to stop if you want maps of the area. Wells Gray itself is a very large park but the area that would be of interest is called the Wells Gray Corridor. Here is a link to a map that shows the points of interest. The distance markers are the number of kilometers from the turnoff: …gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…wells_corridor.pdf

Helmcken Falls is a must stop. Other nice stops include Spahat Falls (not on the above map - 10 km from the turnoff), and Dawson Falls. Bailey's Chute is also fasinating if the fish are running (late August).

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

Many thanks to all for the advice, links and recommendations.

8. Re: Mount Robson to Whistler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 05:17