We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
243 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

Hubby and I are spending 5 days in Vancouver in July.

I narrowed it down to these 2 hotels after spending a few hours reading the reviews. We are not planning on renting a car, so I am basing a lot on a central location. I was able to receive a rate of 209 a night at Sutton. (not on the new side which I was told is mostly suites) and 179 at Blue Horizon. We will definitely have our lap top so Sutton charges 15 a night for that. I was also thinking about checking out Metropolitan. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We will definitely be out a lot. Sightseeing, hiking, biking, dining. Not really needing papmpering etc. (well, maybe me :) Also, price is not really the issue. More about a good value etc. Thanks

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

Sutton is a solid 5 star luxury hotel, The Metropolitan is a high end 4 star business hotel and the B-Horizon is a serviceable 3 star. Without doubt the ratings represent the properties. You can avoid the internet charges by going to any of the numerous coffee (Starbuck's type) shops. There is one across from Sutton. All 3 hotels are located within a few minutes walk from each other. Treat yourself special and take the Sutton with the Met as a close 2nd.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,900 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

Have not stayed at the Sutton.. have stayed at Blue Horizon and the Met.. while the Met is "classier" the Blue Horizon had much larger room, balcony and I prefer the location as it's a bit further west on Robson so closer to Stanley park.

. Sutton is indeed a top rated hotel.. and the location is good.

imo once you add 14% tax on top your $30 difference becomes $34 per night times 5=$170 = a great meal or two at our wonderful restaurants.

I tend to like comfort but not luxury..generally I'll stay at a good value hotel. Yes you can use Starbucks for internet but then you have to lug the laptop out with you.. the Blue Horizon has free internet in the room so you can check mail and do the chores that you need to from the comfort of your bed in your jammies...

it sounds like the room is basically a place to sleep and rest your tootsies between sight seeing , hiking and dining...if you were doing a girls weekend away and wanting the entire spa thing I'd say Sutton.. for what you describe I'd say Blue Horizon.

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
243 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

I was just informed by hubby who is a Microsoft employee that he gets a discounted rate at the Four Seasons and the Coast Hotel,(never heard of it) near Stanley Park. Now I am starting over!

Thanks for your input so far.Though I was still undecided.

But now it looks like I can get 179 at this Coast Hotel and a great rate at four seasons too. Four Seasons was having difficulty quoting me a rate for some reason but if I was going in April it would be $199. IMO that would be the best rate since the Four Seasons in Chicago is 400plus a night!. Any thoughts on this?

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,900 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

The Four Seasons is always ranked a bit lower ( right now #31) than other luxe hotels in vancouver.. and imo it's because of the location...it is squarely in the center of downtown at Georgia and Howe BUT it is part of/adjacent to/in the Pacific Center Mall which is a large shopping complex. The location is very central and there is easy access to rapid transit ( skytrain) and shopping but I think it's the "mall" part that throws people off. ( amnd the price..;) ) I haven't stayed here for years but the people that stay consistently review it well. I have frequented the Yew Bar ( wine bar) recently and often recommend it for those who want an opportunity to taste wine without having the time to go to the BC Okanagan.

Coast.. there are two.. one on Hastings ( more towards Burrard inlet. side of town) and one on Comox..nearer to Denman and more towards the English bay side of the downtown peninsula. Haven't stayed at either but Coast is a north american chain.. if it was a choice I'd go with the Four Season's over Coast even though the Coast hotels are a bit nearer Stanley park.. you can hop a bus or walk and Four Seasons' will put you nearer Yale Town and the restaurants there and on Robson while the Coast hotels will be nearer Denman restaurants.. having said all that the downtown is so compact that you can either walk or 10 minute cab ride tops to just about anyplace.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

Wow...from the Blue Horizon to the Four Seasons...guess it gets down to how much you value a luxury hotel. The B-Horizon is a Chevy. Dependable for sure, but a Chevy. Four Seasons, Met and Sutton are well above a Chevy. The Four Seasons is right across the street from the Met. The Coast Coal Harbour is brand new this year and not quite as central nor quite as elegant as the Four Seasons/Met/Sutton. Elegant is not in the B-Horizon description at all. Serviceable, well located, but not high end. But hey, Chevys sell.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

The 4 seasons would obviously be the best choice based on your listed options. It is only about 4 blocks away from the Sutton, so the location is basically the same. Plus you get direct access to the mall and are closer to Gastown.

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
469 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

My choice would either be the Sutton or the Four Seasons Hotel (the Blue Horizon is not even in the same class category, sorry!!).

Both the Sutton and the Four Seasons Hotel are in great locations. The Four Seasons is attached to a very large downtown mall, which you may find convenient.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

You mentioned Coast Hotels. There are two in downtown Vancouver. One on Denman and one on Hastings called the Coast Coal Harbour. The latter one is the newer one, opened in January. I had the pleasure of staying their and at the Sutton Place during the Olympics. I hate to say this as I'm a fan of the Sutton, but I prefer the more modern and newer accommodations at the Coast Coal Harbour. The service level was just so so.. but I'm guessing that it was because all the staff were new and still working out the kinks. It's in a quiet area, walkable to both the Seawall and Robson area.

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
243 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

It is actually the Coast Plaza Hotel and Suites on Comox Street.

I am still undecided because I am waiting to hear about corporate rates.

Now I am leaning towards the Fairmont Hotel on Georgia Street.

Honestly, I would just like to book and move on. But, it seems like these rates change daily. Good things come to those who wait!

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to decide between Sutton and Blue Horizon.

I would go for the Four Seasons or the Sutton Place over the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, and definitely over the Coast. Go see the lobby etc of Hotel Vancouver but stay elsewhere, IMO.