We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-La or Wedgewood

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Shangri-La or Wedgewood

We've decided to "go for it" and stay in one of the luxury hotels in Vancouver. Based on discounts we were able to get online, we've narrowed it down to the Shangi-La or the Wedgewood as neither of these hotels have associated properties that are available in the US, we really would get the opportunity to stay somewhere completely unique. Can anyone recommend one over the other? Is one location better than the the other. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
1,934 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

The Wedgewood is more of a boutique hotel and Shangri-La is a luxury chain. I think Shangri-La would be cool to try out. They are both close to each other, but you might actually get a view in Shangri-La.

Mentioned in this post
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
1,934 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
10,234 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

Location is the same as they are within a few blocks of each other. Shangri-La is a year old, has lovely large bathroom and bedroom, but is a bit cold in decor. The Wedgewood is a warm welcoming hotel that is often described as romantic. Shangri-La is not romantic. The Wedgewood bar and restaurant are always full. The Shangri-La not so. I'd give up the glitz and better room of the Shangri-La for the intimacy of the smaller Wedgewood. But for $10 I'd change my mind.

Mentioned in this post
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
1,934 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

I've stayed at both and like them both for different reasons. As noted above, if you prefer a more traditional decor/boutique hotel experience, go for the Wedgewood, and if your taste runs more to the sleek modern type decor, go for the Shangri-la.

Mentioned in this post
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
1,934 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

The price is exactly the same as a full breakfast is included in the Shangri-la, but the change of a view is a big selling point. Thank you all.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

The Wedgewood reminds me of those wonderful little hotels that exist in London or Paris. The Shangri-la Hong Kong or Singapore. Both are wonderful and will offer different views, literally from you room, of Vancouver.

Mentioned in this post
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
1,934 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

Thanks everyone, I actually (even after the free breakfast) made reservations at The Wedgewood. However, they do allow you to request a view - any suggestions - city view, Robeson Gardens??? Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
1,934 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

You want to face towards the gardens. The deluxe rooms on that side of the hotel are the ones I like.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

Thanks again everyone. The Wedgewood was a great choice. I requested a view of Robeson gardens (as suggested). However, that view was not available with the room rate we reserved. The Wedgewood upgraded us without hesitation and send a wonderful email asking if there was anything else they could do. I, as many people, have come to rely on TA for advice and guidance, especially from Trip Advisor experts and truly appreciate the time and effort you put into answering all our questions.

Mentioned in this post
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
Wedgewood Hotel & Spa
1,934 Reviews
Vancouver, Canada
9. Re: Shangri-La or Wedgewood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 05:16