We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving Next Week

Scotland
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving Next Week

Hi Everyone.. Looking forward to arriving in Vancouver for nine days next week, Ash Cloud permitting, prior to travelling to Seattle to join an Alaska cruise. I will then be returning to Vancouver for three days prior to flight home. First part of stay will be at the Metropolitan with the final three days at the Fairmont Pacific Rim.

I check out these forums with some interest and it would be nice to hear some local feedback on recommended restaurants and bars in the Downtown area. I have heard that Vancouver is safe to walk at nights with the usual "big city" precautions being taken.

I am not looking for high end restaurants or "groovy" bars. Asian and Steak houses would probably be my favourites. Pubs/Bars with some atmosphere and live music would be great.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
438 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving Next Week

A few quick suggestions, many to follow I am sure.

When we visit Vancouver we often eat at Kingyo on Denman Street. The atmosphere in this Japanese izakaya style restaurant is great, the food is excellent and the staff provide great service.

The Lennox Pub on Granville is lively everytime I"ve been in and the atmosphere has been good. Albeit loud and tv's going for the game but if you're looking for a lively spot this it.

The Cactus Club at Bentall 5 at the bottom of Burrard has good food (interesting mix of dishes) and the building design and atmosphere is good

cactusclubcafe.com/locations/…bentall-5

We also eat at Tsunami Sushi on Robson Street (second floor location so look up). This kaiten sushi restaurant has a bar with freshly made nigiri floating by on boats. Quick, tasty and an affordable lunch.

Lastly the Noodle Box on 4th in Kitsilano is awesome. They have a great selection of different noodles dishes from around Asia and you can mix and match to make up your own unique dish with the heat you want.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your visit to Vancouver.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving Next Week

Both of your hotels are good ones. Yes, Vanc is safe and there are lots of folks living in the downtown area so lots of folks milling about. The Cactus Club Dave recommended is a good one. Its a combo bar/restaurant with outdoor seating. Across the street and a hair closer to Pac Rim is Joey's Bentall with a good wine bar in the rear. To the west of Pac Rim down the seawall is Carderos which is marina-front. Streamworks is to the east, just past the Lion's Pub and at the entrance to Gastown. In Gastown is the Irish Heather. All are within a 5-10 walk and all can be googled. Don't feel restricted to these. The city is a goldmine of restaurants of all types.

Scotland
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving Next Week

Thanks Guys.

4. Re: Arriving Next Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:16