We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canada trip

meath
3 posts
Save Topic
canada trip

Hi everyone, were heading over to canada on our honeymoon, 4 nights vancouver which will include a day trip to whistler, 4nights vancouver island, banff and calgary, but should we do 4 nights in victoria or split it between victoria and torfino 2 nights in each??can you get a boat from victoria to ucelet/torfino instead of driving or getting the bus, be greatful of any suggestions, thanks

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canada trip

Hi shellk82;

First, congratulations !

It would be helpful to those who can be of assistance, if you mentioned WHEN you are planning this trip for.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canada trip

My initial thoughts on your timing/itinerary is that 4 nights in Vancouver including 1 day trip to Whistler is about right.

Depending on your interests, you might consider 2 nights in Victoria for the urban experience, or 1 night in Victoria and 3 at Tofino for nature and the wild, Pacific Ocean experience. But spending 2 nights in Tofino would be short changing yourselves because there is a fair bit to do there. Many things depend on when you are coming.

Here is a link to the transportation options to Tofino: hellobc.com/en-CA/…Tofino.htm. Hiring a water taxi would not be feasible.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canada trip

I, personally, think there is more to see and do in Whistler. Vancouver is not what I would consider a tourist city. Sure, there is the aquarium, the capilano suspension bridge, Grouse Mountain, and Stanley Park, but I think you could see enough in a couple of days. Whistler is an outdoor paradise in any season - so I'd increase your time there.

Victoria is great for tourists - I'd plan at least 2-3 days for that. Remember to have tea at the Empress! Butchart Gardens is spectacular!

I don't think there is a boat from Victoria to Tofino. Most people I know drive. It's a very scenic drive. 3 days in Tofino is perfect.

Have fun!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canada trip

Unlike Pokee I think Vancouver is a great tourist city ..and combined with 3 days in Tofino would be a wonderful combination of outdoors and city.

I few of the things I enjoy doing with or without visitors

Restaurants...too many to list!

Granville Island

Museum of Anthropology

Yaletown

Stanley Park...especially walking the seawall

Van Dusen Gardens

Queen Elizabeth park

UBC Botanical gardens and

Nitobe Japanese Gardens

Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical garden

Grouse Mountain

Capilano Fish Hatchery

Lynn Canyon suspension Bridge

Kayaking in False Creek

Boat ride up Indian Arm

Whytecliffe Park

wandering Robson with all the tourists

shopping on "the Drive" ..Commerical Drive area

Bloedel Conservatory

Gallery walk on south Granville

Macmillan Planetarium

Arts Club theatre performance

plus much much more

Whistler is a good day trip especially if you're not heading for the Rockies but imo the west coast of the island is spectacular.

meath
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: canada trip

sorry we're heading over the 5th of july, will the weather be nice aswell?

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canada trip

Shellk82 this being Vancouver it could be raining. Generally however it should be sunny and fairly warm with the temperature between 20-25C (68-77F).

meath
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: canada trip

Thanks very much everyone,looking forward to vancouver as there is loads more to do than expected,think we might do 1 night victoria and 3 in torfino,cant wait, were coming from ireland so the weather wont bother us, but sun would be a bonus

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: canada trip

FWIW, July 1st is Canada Day and July 4th is American Independence Day, very busy days traffic wise. The ferries will be booked long in advance. By arriving on the 5th, you will only see residual long weekend traffic issues. School ends on June 30th, so as far as summer busy-ness goes, "start your engines."

9. Re: canada trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:16