We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Loden or Shangri-La

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roll Tide
Level Contributor
491 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Loden or Shangri-La

Does anyone have any strong feelings between the two one way or another for an anniversary trip and first visit to Vancouver?

The Loden rate I have is about $100 less per night than the Shangri-La, and it is for a higher room category no less. Naturally, I am leaning towards the Loden.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

We have stayed at the Loden several times and thoroughly enjoy it. Well set up, comfortable beds, awesome bathroom. Only complaint is no coffee in room. Available in the lobby but who want's to do that.

The Shangri-La chain is outstanding. Have been to their property in Bangkok and it is still our son's favourite hotel ever.

Having said this, for a $100 a night I'd stay at the Loden and put the difference towards an outstanding anniversary meal!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

I'd take Loden if rate were equal. $100 (plus tax) makes the decision easy.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

I have eaten dinner at the Shangri-La (excellent) and toured the guest rooms (lovely), haven't been inside the Loden; only looked at it online. Both hotels have the post-modern thing going on. The Shangri-La may be a bit more upscale (after all, they have tv's embeded in the bathroom mirrors!), but given their proximity and how well they are both reviewed, it's a bit of a toss up.

I scanned the reviews on TA and noted a comment about the rooms (probably not all) at the Loden being small. That's not something you'll run into at the Shangri-La - the minimum room size is 450 square feet.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

The rooms are not huge, save for the Penthouse Suite which is enormous and very lovely, but they are fine in size, for us.

Roll Tide
Level Contributor
491 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

BuccaneerDave,

Does the Loden have speakers in the bathroom? I noticed a few of the reviews mention this but did not see this on the Loden website.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

They do if I remember correctly. The rooms we've been in don't have baths though, just super nice big showers. Molton Brown amenities as well.

Whistler, Canada
Destination Expert
for Whistler
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

The room I was in at the Loden had a huge soaker tub plus seperate shower. I don't recall speaker in the bathrooms, but ipod doc and speakers in bedroom.

Both hotels are very nice, it would be hard to pick one or the other.

I personally lean towards Shangri La, with their great restaurant, and an absolutely fabulous spa! However... as BuccaneerDave said, for $100.00 per night, that's money towards a really good dinner.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

I loved the Shangri-La. I almost stayed at the Loden because of the rate, but I can testify that the Shangri-La was 5 star, very clean, elegant,and the rooms were huge and beautiful. It's in an excellent location downtown. The bathroom was huge with a soaking tub, separate shower, and separate toilet with phone in the bathroom. The bathroom mirror had a tv in it. I know the Shangri-La is newer than the Loden. The bed is incredible at the Shangri-la.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
818 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

Having recently stayed at the Loden Hotel I would say it's NOT Vancouver's best hotel and would suggest the Shangri-La for a special get-away.

The downside to the Loden was a smaller sleeping room, no coffee maker in room, lack of a decent business centre and a very limited menu at the hotel restaurant.

The upside of the Loden was speaker's in the washroom, the amazing gym and friendly service. At times the front desk was so busy doing everything from getting a car to taking bags up to the room that they did not always answer the phone.

We have no desire to return to the Loden as it seems to still be a work in progress.

10. Re: Loden or Shangri-La

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2011, 05:15