We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

So, I've researched the tour companies on here, and they look good. What would be the main differences in a tour or going to Victoria on our own? It seems most forms of transportation take you to the same downtown area anyway. Is there a price incentive to take a tour? Do they really limit your time seeing the town? Of course, I'll need to get to Butchart Gardens which most of these tours include, but am I better off just going on my own? Just need to know the benefits of a tour vs. self-planned for a place like Victoria.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

Oh, one more thing. Are there any trips where I could go from Vancouver to Victoria and return that evening to Seattle that are similary priced to round-trip transportation/tours?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,797 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

The trip from Vancouver to Victoria is really one route. You go to the ferry, get on the ferry, drive straight down one highway to downtown Victoria. You can detour slightly to Butchart on the way if you wanted.

With a rental car you would have complete flexibility. You would want to consider making a ferry reservation but otherwise it's not a crazy busy long weekend.

With a tour you sit back and leave the driving, parking, etc to the driver. You get to do nothing but enjoy the scenery.

I think with Butchart they allow you 2 hours which is plenty.

You can go from Victoria to Seattle quite easily. Have a look at the Victoria Clipper.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
487 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

If you are just looking to do it in a day then a tour may be good as they are on a schedule. Also, if Whale Watching is something you were planning to do as well, Prince of Whales has some great tours that pick you up in downtown vancouver and drop you in Victoria.... may be something to look in to!

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

for a trjiangle fare you might look at

victoriaclipper.com

Landsea tours was used last week. They went over on the 9 am ferry and returned on the 7 pm which was way longer than other operators so you had more time in both the gardens and downtown plus they drive the scenic route into downtown. They also gave you admission to one of 5 attractions. While you can do it on your own its just easier to have someone show you around.

5. Re: Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 19:27
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

I was in the area last weekend and we did a day trip to Victoria that included a floatplane ride over, time in the harbor, Butchart Gardens and the ferry back. The harbor and gardens were great, but if I had it to do over I would absolutely have done the floatplane both ways. If you can afford it, it's totally worth the time you'll save. The ferry ride itself is nice, but the terminal is about a 35-min drive from the Victoria harbor and the Vancouver terminal is nowhere close to the central city. All in, our return trip took almost 5 hours.

7. Re: Day trip to Victoria - tour or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:17