We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
147 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

Is there a website which lists the top attractions along the Skytrain routes?

I want to explore the city purely by Skytrain and would like to know which stations are worth stopping by...visiting the attractions...then hop on to the next station again...

Pls advise.

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

If you are willing to combine all modes of public transit, you can see a lot of the city. Here's a website with ideas for 1, 2 and 3 days tours using public transit.

…tourbytransit.com/gettingstarted/skytrain.h…

To get to Gravnille Island, UBC, and the North Shore, you will need to combine Sky Train with walking, the Sea Bus and some regular buses.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

Unfortunately the skytrain is more oriented for commuters that tours. However as mentioned, it combination with the bus network you can see pretty much everything in Vancouver.

For the skytrain/Canada Line there are several malls and shopping areas though.

Metrotown, Richmond Centre, Oakridge, Brentwood, Lougheed, Surrey Centre. I would probably only ever go to Metrotown though.

You best bet is to find the destination you want to go and then we can offer advice on how to get there by transit.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,958 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

I did this once.

Once being the operative word.

The ride from the skytrain has views of rooves: shingles, tar paper, torch on, you name it. You go along relatively quickly so that you don't really get to realize what you are looking at. The tracks are sometimes set in corridors of greenery, so all you see is shrubbery, pretty much in your face. The scenery in the mid- far-distances is as usual, but you could save time and effort by going to a Vancouver lookout and seeing the same thing without being in constant motion.

Canada Line is set in a tunnel except for the section between Marpole and the airport.

You can get places very well on the skytrain, but take a book to read while you're getting there.

vancouver
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

for me personally when travelling i always like to see a city away from from the touristy things ( the good and bad) and i think that the skytrain gives a bit of that , albeit at a good tack

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,397 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

The Best views are to be found heading east on the Expo Line in the early morning hours as the sun rises over the Coast mountains.

Few ever see this-the train is usually deserted but for a few sleepy commuters (including me)-but there's nothing like it anywhere the deep blues fading to yellow/orange and then brilliant blue with green tinges.

I agree that the whole system is rather unremarkable just a shuttle really but research shows a few points worth the stopping-I wouldn't include any shopping mall though.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

Thanks so much for the link to the transit site. Excellent information which we will use prior to our visit in September. We greatly appreciate the time & effort locals spend to pass on such invaluable tips.

Rav4England

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

One poster once reported they did the following, and really enjoyed it:

Take the first West Coast Express train departing Waterfront in the late afternoon to Port Moody Station. Walk over to Rocky Point Park and walk the Shoreline Trail, have dinner at Pajo's Fish and Chips and enjoy the ambiance. Pick up a bus to take you over to Lougheed Mall Skytrain Station as its getting dark to head back into town.

8. Re: Exploring Vancouver by Skytrain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 06:29