We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

Hi, Everyone!

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I will be in Vancouver this July with my friend and she gave me a choice between staying at the Howard Johnson in downtown on Granville Street or the Ramada Inn & Suites also on Granville Street. We have never been to Vancouver, so I do not know if these specific hotels are good choices and I am also concerned about their location. I see that they seem like they are in a good central location, but is that a decent area? Is it safe?? Or should we be looking to stay in another part of town?

If anyone has stayed in these hotels or is familiar with this location, I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks so much!

=)

Nat

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

These two 80-90 year old hotels are more or less across the street from each other and in the middle of the Granville entertainment district of bars and clubs. These are two star hotels and should be priced accordingly. Other than whatever noise that is associated with a club street, they are centrally located and safe. If it were me I'd use Price Line to see what else I could get for a comparable price before making a decision, but if nothing better popped up either would work with maybe a slight edge to H-Johnson.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

Thank you so much for the advice!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

I second the advice, Priceline and Hotwire should get you a 4* hotel for a similar price to these places. Both are on Granville St near all the bars though.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

If I am reading your situation correctly, I would go straight to the Blue Horizon on Robson. You will not be disappointed. Pay a little more but be sooooo much happier. It looks to be about $10-20 more a night than HoJo.

http://www.bluehorizonhotel.com/

Edited: 04 June 2010, 04:53
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

I was actually always thinking about the Blue Horizon in the back of my mind. I've also heard of really great reviews. I had suggested it to my friend, but, I guess she disregarded it just because these hotels had a cheaper price attached..........even if it was cheaper by only a few dollars!

I'll try suggesting it to her again.

Thanks so much for your opinion. Really a great help!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

The 4-5 bars in the block near HoJo close from 1 am to 3 am. They are often busy with late evening lineups along the sidewalk outside. Invest in ear plugs. :-)

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

Haha! Thanks!

Thank you for your input. I've been having such a hard time trying to find a decent hotel in a good location in Vancouver that I was already getting frustrated! And having a travel companion that is determined to get the cheapest price possible adds on to the stress. Traveling on a budget can be very difficult! =) If it was solely up to me, i'd stay at the blue horizon or some other similar hotels that i've heard about.

BTW, i've noticed that almost all hotels I look at have fees and charges for additional guests. My sister might join in on the trip making us a small group of 3, so I find it kind of odd that if i stay in a room that already has 2 double beds, why would they add an "extra person fee" if the room can already easily accomodate that third person?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

I do believe with 2 double/queen beds, the max is 4 people, after which another person would be an extra person - requiring a cot or rollaway bed.

Why don't you look as well at the YWCA Hotel. They book up over the summer but are very well located, very reasonable, and very popular. They have a variety of room/bathroom selections. It's not a hostel but a hotel.

They have a dbl/dble with private bathroom (arbitrary July 10-14) for $153/139 snr rate.

ywcahotel.com/content/ROOMS___RATES/958/41/0

But you'd be way more comfortable for $10 more at the BH.

Edited: 04 June 2010, 06:48
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

You're awesome! Thank you again for your help. I agree with your opinion about staying at BH. Thanks for helping me make my own mind up on a hotel. Huge relief!

=D

london
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Vancouver - Howard Johnson OR Ramada Inn??

I have just returned from a fabulous trip in Canada and would definitely not recommend the Howard Johnson in Vancouver. We stayed there for 1 night. The room was fine and there was continental breakfast provided. The problem was that there is a club directly below the hotel and the loud music kept us awake all night - I think it stopped about 2 or 3 in the morning. Definitely not on the Best Places to Stay list.