We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell Phones

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cell Phones

Will I be able to use my cell phone in BC? I am tied into Verizon. My husband got some questionable information about having to modify our service in order for there to be compatibility.

Any thoughts?

Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell Phones

Hi, FendelV

if you put "verizon" into the forum's search box, you'll come up with some answers to your question. Here's one from last year:

tripadvisor.com/…19080295

It's going to cost you - roaming charges of $0.69/minute, and/or a service fee for Canada. Verizon's own website should be able to answer some of those questions - check under interntaional service.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell Phones

Thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,794 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell Phones

I use Verizon and you can add Canada for $20 a month with no roaming, no ld charges. They will use your normal minutes then you can change the plans when you get back home.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
96 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell Phones

Thanks all. The suggestion about adding Canada to my already existing service neatly resolves the problem.

Rockies BC
Level Contributor
812 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell Phones

Just keep in mind that there are many many areas in BC with no cell phone service. You have posted your question in the Vanc forum so I assume you are planning on sticking to that area but if you do head into the interior you need to be prepared for no service. For example, there is no cell phone service between Cranbrook & Creston in the East Kootenays (a highway drive of over 100 km) - absolutely none.

6. Re: Cell Phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 09:09