We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear?

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear?

I was wondering what your current weather is like. We'll be there July 17-18 and finding packing a real headache with all the different climates we'll encounter in Fairbanks and Denali, on the southbound cruise and in ports (especially the excursion of helicopter to top of glacier and dog sledding) and then Vancouver and Victoria. So I'll start with you, what type of clothing do you recommend for your weather?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear?

Layers would be good. It's been a cool June here but like a lot of cities in coastal regions the weather can change fast and several times a day. July is usally good with temperatures around 25 C or up. However if you are coming from a warm dry climate like Phoenix directly to Vancouver it may seem cool to you. Inland it's warmer.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,795 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear?

This week we're wearing jackets it's so wet and cold.

However, the answer lies in layering your clothes.

-short sleeved Tshirt, short sleeved shirt

-long sleeved light weight turtle/crew neck

-shorts

-long pants

-sandals

-shoes

-vest or fleece or hoody

-light weight waterproof jacket with hood

For the north you will want a scarf at least, a toque/hat and gloves.

This way, you can start out wearing less and then add the vest if you feel cold, or if it's hot later in the day, remove the vest or hoody. Sort of like HOHO clothing.

I'm sure the sun will be out by July 17. On a nice day here, you will need shorts/light slacks and short sleeved top. Think Phoenix mid March.

p.s. Victoria will be very similar, but it is always breezy there. Sometimes, downright windy.

Edited: 19 June 2010, 19:31
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear?

If you own a compact umbrella, bring it, not just for Vancouver, but you might need it for one of your Alaskan ports-of-call. Other than that, plan on layering, just like others have said.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear?

I feel your pain. ha... as was said our july is warm but not scorching like yours but same clothes...shorts...light clothing. Having said that...I have gone on an alaska cruise (so nice...just a taxi from home to the port!) and it was warm in vancouver and wet cold and misty in Alaska. Pack it all but dont go crazy. at that time of year forget the fleeces.. but bring a good windbreaker jacket and a few long sleeve shirts... you wont wear sweaters or fleeces....trust me. they will just take up room in your suitcase,

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
442 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear?

As another Zonie, I would ask you what you wear on the coldest winter day you've ever experienced in Phoenix. If you are young and hardy enough to wear shorts on that day, then you won't need much in heavy outerwear for Alaska, much less Vancouver. However, if you bundle up when it drops below 50F, then bring the fleece to wear under the windbreaker.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear?

definitely be ready for both hot and cool weather because that's what the weather is like here sometimes--unpredictable ! but if you have a pair of shorts, a pair of long pants, some short sleeved t shirts, a long sleeved shirt, and a light jacket or hoodie then you will be well prepared. oh yes, i forgot, possibly an umbrella? we often have showers/rain here as well. it's just really hard to predict.

i would have to say it's a little cool in the morning and possibly late at night but in the mid day, it can be very hot.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear?

I'm sorry to say this... but on a regular day... In the AM I have a t-shirt, cardigan AND a jacket.... then by mid day I may only need the T-shirt... and I always have my umbrella with me because later in the evening as I leave work.. it will likely be raining.... the tempurature is insane in vancouver. Crazier than any other part of Canada (I have lived all over the place). So basically make sure you have a couple of layers, an umbrella or rain jacket and you will be good to go. Also, don't trust the forcast, it changes daily/hourly without notice.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear?

I need to just say.. it is really nice here though!! haha despite how it sounds!

Chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear?

I just returned from a week in Vancouver and I also vote for the layering approach as the weather varies quickly. You won't need anything dressy at all. We visited quite a few higher end restaurants and found jeans, casual collared shirt and fleece were acceptable. Take comfortable walking shoes as everything downtown is nearby.

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear?

we will be in canada in september,will the same apply for that time?