We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a rental car on the ferry

Which Vancouver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
HB
9 posts
Save Topic
Taking a rental car on the ferry

If you take the car on the ferry do you have to stay in the car or stay with the car or do you park it for the duration and walk around, etc.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

You park the car and then go up to the decks upstairs...be sure to remember where you parked!!! Have a white spot "triple o" burger on your trip and enjoy

HB
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

Thanks! Another question:

We are staying two nights in Victoria and have two nights before heading to Vancouver.

Should we:

Stay in Whistler 2 nights, one night and then

Tofino 1 night or

Courtenay 1 night

Is there any night life in either place?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

You question is slightly confusing, whistler is not on Vancouver Island but tofino and courtney are. I would say Tofino would be a good spot to visit, however for nightlife you would probably prefer Whistler.

Also the ferries are huge with multiple decks and seating areas both indoors and outdoors to enjoy the trip over.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,316 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

Your itinerary in #2 shows that you may not be aware of the distances you want to drive. You don't really want to go from Victoria to Whistler to Tofino/Courtenay.

Have a look at www.hellobc.com for info about the areas you have mentioned.

Also go to maps.google.ca and enter the places a well. You can see the lay of the land and get driving distances and directions as well as satellite view.

I have always understood you are not allowed to stay down on the car deck, unless you have a pet that you have walked on with. Is this actually true, locals? Something to do with safety/mustering/evacuation procedures?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

The rule about not being able to remain on the car deck came about after a collision back in 1970, in Active Pass, between the Queen of Victoria and a Russian freighter (who was not supposed to be in Active Pass). The freighter cut into the ship and 3 people, who were on the car deck, were killed.

Here's a link with some news articles and photos of the collision. You need to scroll about half way down the page. ferriesbc.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Edited: 20 June 2010, 15:37
Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

You know that driving to tofino will take 6 to 8 hours? Hang out in victoria.. If you only have 2 days tofino is not really going to fit well in your itinerary. Nightlife in whistler is always happening.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,316 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

Thanks luckysll, I can remember that event but didn't know that's where the "all passengers must go up on deck" rule came from.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

I didn’t know it was a rule at all. I stay on the car deck more often than not. I have caught many zzzzzz’s while crossing and I think the prices for food are ridiculously high so I can’t be bothered to go upstairs.

I guess the rule is not enforced because no one has ever told me to get off the car deck and head upstairs.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

white spot on board is the same price as on land

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking a rental car on the ferry

BC4ME...I don`t think that the 40 min ferry crossing from Horseshoe Bay to Gibsons is as stricly enforced as it is on the crossing to Victoria due to the size of the ferry and the number of passengers. I have been advised to leave my vehicle on the crossing to Victoria but never on the Langdale route.

I think for scenery you are better to take the time to go to Whistler rather than Tofino...it really is too long of a drive for the time you have to see everything. Depending on what you want to do first, you could do Whistler first, then leave Whistler and go straight to the Horseshoe bay ferry terminal, take the ferry across to Nanaimo and enjoy the drive down to Victoria from there. Will add a few hours to your trip but will let you see more of the Island as well. Then take the ferry back from Victoria to the mainland.

I love doing it that way!